• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to detail a white 92 Honda Civic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to detail a white 92 Honda Civic?

It's wife's car, and it has been in ignorenace since she first bought it in 92, the paint has some oxidatation cause it's very "cloudy", no shine at all, pretty bad swirl all over the paint. They are not deep swirls but just all over the paint.

I have the following plan to attack it, please give me your comments.

1. Wash with gold class car wash
    2. Clay bar.
    3 Wash again then dry.
    4. MPPC
    5. DCAP
    7. NXT or #7, still thinking whether I should try NXT, I had use Zaino before and I don't like syn wax....

I am doing it with PC(first time user also), but what speed do I need to set the PC at for various products??

Hi bigjason,

Your process looks pretty good. I think you can skip the second wash job.

You can also go with either the #83 or the MPPC but not both.

I would opt for the #83 and take your time applying it thoroughly, remember, the cleaning step is the step that will make or break your end-results.

After #83 you can polish with the #9 for a little extra rich polishing oils to improve the gloss.

Skip the #7 if you go with the #9.

Then apply two thin coats of the Tech Wax leaving as much time as you can between the first and second coat.

I would run the PC at the 5.0 setting with our W-8006 polishing pad for the #83.

I would run the PC at about the 4.0 setting again with a clean/dedicated W-8006 foam polishing pad for the #9

I would run the PC at about the 2.0 setting with the W-9006 foam finishing pad for the Tech Wax.

Then stand back and admire the results.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for your comments, it's really helpful and I can't wait until I do it this weekend. Something to clarify, the reason I wash for a second time is that I just wanna make sure the clay are all gone from my paint, or am I too worry about it cayse #83 will clean it up anyway?

I made a mistake, I mean eatiher NXT or #26 or even Carnauda Wax, I am still debating which one to use, can I layer NXT? Then top it with a Carnauda wax to get the silk smooth feeling?

Also, will #83 remove swirl marks??
      Last edited by bigjason; Jun 17, 2004, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjason
        Something to clarify, the reason I wash for a second time is that I just want to make sure the clay are all gone from my paint, or am I too worry about it because #83 will clean it up anyway?
        Hi bigjason,

As you're claying, after claying a section, carefully wipe off the finish removing the lubricant and any clay residue. It should be rather easy to do and leave a clean, smooth surface.

You can wash the car again if you want to, it's up to you and it's your time. It will definitely insure a clean car.

I made a mistake, I mean either NXT or #26 or even Carnauba Wax, I am still debating which one to use, can I layer NXT? Then top it with a Carnauba wax to get the silk smooth feeling?
        Yes. NXT Tech Wax contains a sleight cleaning ability, but if you let the first coating fully set-up and then add a second coating with a soft touch, you will leave more product behind than your remove. You will also leave behind a more uniform layer over the entire surface for maximum gloss and protection.

If you want to apply a topper, I would go with either M-26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax, or Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax.

Just to make a note here, neither of the above two waxes are what could be categorized as Carnauba waxes. They both contain Carnauba wax, along with polymers, silicones, and resins. The visual effect is one that is deeper, richer, more reflective, and glossier than a single-ingredient wax like a carnauba wax.

Also, will #83 remove swirl marks?
        This is a good question, and the answer is "Yes", with a qualifier. It depends on how deep the swirls are, and how hard the paint is and to some degree your skills at polishing out defects.

The best thing to do is to try. Tomorrow there is a detailing clinic for Ford Mach 1's. If you like, I'm sure we have room for one more. If you come on down to the clinic, I'll be sure to show you how to remove the swirls in your car's finish by show you the correct technique.

Here's the link to the clinic,

Ford Mach 1 Detailing clinic

It's only a 6 hour drive.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');