• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Wax gives you the best Gloss and Reflection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Which Wax gives you the best Gloss and Reflection?

Originally posted by polaris View Post
    Cleaner wax should get a mention on here use it on my to older cars 4 times a year they don't look perfect but they look pretty nice and is amazingly easy to use and seems to hide and fill scratches and swirls. It is a good way to do a quick wax with great result. Usually a product i use for a quick detail on customer cars.
    +1

I use #6 for my wash n wax pkge but I also mix in a little 476s on the pad. If cleaner wax didn't stain trim and lasted a little bit longer it would really hard to beat.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Originally posted by inyadreems View Post
      +1

I use #6 for my wash n wax pkge but I also mix in a little 476s on the pad. If cleaner wax didn't stain trim and lasted a little bit longer it would really hard to beat.
      I've found KAIO to be a fantastic chemical cleaner, which doesn't stain trim - at least in my experience - and it leaves behind an acrylic sealant that serves as a good base for another sealant or wax.
      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by umi000 View Post
        I've found KAIO to be a fantastic chemical cleaner, which doesn't stain trim - at least in my experience - and it leaves behind an acrylic sealant that serves as a good base for another sealant or wax.
        true, with that product used on an alrady clean looking paint, i always find some grime on the applicator after working it in. I'm surprised to see a good amount of dirt/contaminants after using it, it does leave a nice shiny surface after. Then apply the long life sealant after, and you get more shine even right after removal of the haze. And i use it on glass, metal and plastic surfaces with no issues whatsoever.

Comment

If not for the tempermental nature of Klasse/Carlack 68, which is more associated with the long life sealant/sealant glaze, I would say this is the sealant to have. It gives incredible reflections and brightness to the paint. I do find it appealing even if it's a bit tempermental, because as you buff off the residue, you can already see the shiny paint beneath it. And as it cures for 8-12 hours, it still improves as well as the slickness of the paint. HOwever, I found that it doesn't really last 6 months, I guess no wax/sealant does and it is dependednt on the climate and pollutants in the air and where i live it really bad.

Now this is only my opinion and experience. There are other sealants out there that can offer similar shine and durability, but with better ease of use.

Comment

Originally posted by ffboy View Post
            If not for the tempermental nature of Klasse/Carlack 68, which is more associated with the long life sealant/sealant glaze, I would say this is the sealant to have. It gives incredible reflections and brightness to the paint. I do find it appealing even if it's a bit tempermental, because as you buff off the residue, you can already see the shiny paint beneath it. And as it cures for 8-12 hours, it still improves as well as the slickness of the paint. HOwever, I found that it doesn't really last 6 months, I guess no wax/sealant does and it is dependednt on the climate and pollutants in the air and where i live it really bad.

Now this is only my opinion and experience. There are other sealants out there that can offer similar shine and durability, but with better ease of use.
            For the record, there is no magic here in relation to waxes or paint sealants. Here are a few facts:

a. Products that leave a high shine are typically not very durable.
            b. Products that are durable often do not leave as high a shine as a less durable product.
            c. Produces that are hard to apply and remove are typically more durable and less shiny.
            d. Products that are resistent to soaps and shampoos are usually more durable and less shiny.

A chemist can formulate a wax or paint sealant product to do whatever they want it to do by just adjusting the ingredients. They chemist is at the mercy of the sales department. If they want a shiny product then it will not be as durable. If they want a durable product it will not be the shiniest coin in the coin purse.

Regards
            Bud Abraham

Comment

Originally posted by buda View Post
              For the record, there is no magic here in relation to waxes or paint sealants. Here are a few facts:

a. Products that leave a high shine are typically not very durable.
              b. Products that are durable often do not leave as high a shine as a less durable product.
              c. Produces that are hard to apply and remove are typically more durable and less shiny.
              d. Products that are resistent to soaps and shampoos are usually more durable and less shiny.

A chemist can formulate a wax or paint sealant product to do whatever they want it to do by just adjusting the ingredients. They chemist is at the mercy of the sales department. If they want a shiny product then it will not be as durable. If they want a durable product it will not be the shiniest coin in the coin purse.

Regards
              Bud Abraham
              I'm afraid so...Much like ultra-high end waxes (the real expensive carnaubas) seem to give unreal shine on car shows, but durability is a bit suspect, almost strictly for show car purposes. Anything outside it may dramatically shorten or change the shine quality of the paint. But it's a good thing that many waxes provide more good enough shine with durability. It's hard to judge what best shine is.. people have different standards or interpretationsof what kind of shine they want. Again personally, i like the shine given by carlack 68/klasse sealant, I like the glassy type of shine it gives, to say that it is the best of all would be a bit inaccurate. It does look a bit flat on certain angles. light intensities or at certain times of the day. But the protection while not up to the 6 month or more as promised, is more than good enough for me.

The point with the carlack/klasse to me isn't the shine, but the promised months of protection that seems or is too good to be true. Much like water beading being used as a basis of wax protection/presence, even carlack loses its beading within a month of application which isn't at all bad.

I guess we can't or shouldn't ask or expect too much from waxes/sealants. It's really down to proper maintenance steps to keep our cars looking like it just rolled out of the showroom.

Comment

Originally posted by ffboy View Post
                I'm afraid so...Much like ultra-high end waxes (the real expensive carnaubas) seem to give unreal shine on car shows, but durability is a bit suspect, almost strictly for show car purposes. Anything outside it may dramatically shorten or change the shine quality of the paint. But it's a good thing that many waxes provide more good enough shine with durability. It's hard to judge what best shine is.. people have different standards or interpretationsof what kind of shine they want. Again personally, i like the shine given by carlack 68/klasse sealant, I like the glassy type of shine it gives, to say that it is the best of all would be a bit inaccurate. It does look a bit flat on certain angles. light intensities or at certain times of the day. But the protection while not up to the 6 month or more as promised, is more than good enough for me.

The point with the carlack/klasse to me isn't the shine, but the promised months of protection that seems or is too good to be true. Much like water beading being used as a basis of wax protection/presence, even carlack loses its beading within a month of application which isn't at all bad.

I guess we can't or shouldn't ask or expect too much from waxes/sealants. It's really down to proper maintenance steps to keep our cars looking like it just rolled out of the showroom.

The only way to determine the reflective shine of a product before and after application is to use a Glossometer. The detail chemical companies; the paint manufacturers; the auto manufacturers all have them, as well as a few professional detailers.

You can talk all you want about shine, but the only objective way is to measure the reflective shine with a Glossometer and they are very expensive.

It is a known FACT, that carnuaba wax is not as durable as synthetic carnuaba wax (microcrystaline). That is the wax manufactured in the laboratory.

It is also a known FACT that waxes do not last as long as paint sealants mainly due to the type of silicones used in sealants vs those used in waxes.

The problem is that many suppliers do not want to deal in FACTS, only marketing hype.

Just some well intentioned thoughts.

Bud Abraham

Comment

Another advantage of sealants today (well, most of them) is the ease of application and removal. Sadly, i won't be able to get my hands on any glossometer or any high tech software/gadgets used by high end pro-detailers. I can only rely on my own eyes/impression on how shiny or how good the paint looks...

I do appreciate your thoughts, it's definitely something to keep in mind regarding all these sealants/waxes out there. There are so many choices, it can be a bit intimidating and confusing to many..

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');