• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use to dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to dry

After a wash, I used to think that the best way to dry the car was to use a chamois.

Now, I heard that the best product is micro-fibre towel.

Do some of you have experience in both products? How do you compare the both?

Hello mis3!

A personal opinion with personal obersvations....

I have utilized cotton terry, chamois, and waffle weave microfiber. To date, the microfiber towels are, by far and away, my preferred method for drying.

My chamois would soak up the water like nobody's business however, it didn't offer enough 'nap' to it to entrain a small grain of sand or something similar that would ultimately scratch the crud out of my finish and create a considerable amount of work. Ultra-high quality 100% cotton towels were nice but, when they were saturated, all they did was streak the water everywhere. I'd go through several towels by the time I finished and this was a problem when it came time to wash everything (not to mention the overall cost of several really nice bath towels -- in fact, nicer than I use when I, personally, get out of the shower! HA!). Microfiber took the best of both of the two previously mentioned options and combined them into one solution.

The Meguiar's Waffle-Weave Drying Towel takes the absorption potential of a chamois and the nap of a cotton terry towel and rolls it into one handy piece. The waffle-weave (WW) towel is smaller and thus, in my opinion, easier to use. It absorbs many times its weight in water and provides enough nap to entrain that pesky grain of grit/sand that could pose a problem to the paint. When it's saturated, snap it out a few times, wring it, and you're good to go again; with the SAME towel.

I have a very large F-150 SuperCrew and I only use two of these to do the entire vehicle (and could probably get away by using one). I will typically use the free flowing water method to remove the majority of the water sitting on the surface. By this, I mean I'll remove my Ultimate Hose Nozzle and allow the water to flow out of the end of the hose across the paint. The sheeting action created by this will remove a good majority of the water from your paint. It's a huge time saver and helps to prevent having to work a towel/mf/chamois across the surface. Next, I'll start at the top of the vehicle and work downward with the ww. I typically utilize ONE ww towel to go all the way down to the middle of the doors. From there, I'll break out the second ww towel and work the bottom door line as well as other areas that are more likely to have a grain of sand or grit. I FREQUENTLY shake, snap, and wring the ww while I'm in these areas to help prevent cross-contamination onto other portions of the paint as well as to help prevent scratching.

For me, it's waffle-weave microfiber all the way.

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Hi mis3. I was a neigbour of yours at one time. I am originally from Hamilton.How's the weather up there. I ordered the waffle weave towel from Megs. It should be here tomorrow,eh . Just washed my truck on friday but when I get around to doing it again I will let you know how it is.

Comment

Waffle weave rocks....

Comment

personally i park my car in my driveway which is on a slant and i keep a good coat of wax on it
          so most of the water just seems to slide rite off my car
          and then go dry the rest of the water off witha ww towel

Comment

Hey,

I would highly recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Drying towel! It is a waffle weave microfiber towel that works fantastic!!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

The Absorber
              The “quickest” dry ever! Speed drying time with this revolutionary new man-made drying towel. Its unique cell structure soaks up water three times faster than ordinary materials and holds more! It’s also perfect for watercraft and poolside!

G-400 ....................1 $14.95 add to cart

Meguiars sent me this by accident instead of the chamois that I ordered. They made good on my order and sent me the chamois right away and didn't charge me for the absorber and told me to keep it. GREAT COMPANY!

Anyway my point is...the absorber works better than the chamois...I love it! They are easy to find since Walmart and Target and many other places carry them. They are inexpensive too!

You wring it out after use and store it in it's tube. No need to let it dry out. You would think it would stink when you used it again, cause you put it up damp...not the case!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');