• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car - Three Step Process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car - Three Step Process?

Hello, I am a noob to the forum and to car care in general.

I just purchased a 2006 Jetta and want to see if i'm off base on this as a way to get a good start with exterior car care.

My plan for the weekend...
    1. A good washing
    2. Meguiars NXT tech Wax ($14.99!!) and plan to apply per instructions
    3. Bought a sealant and plan to apply etc.

Am I missing or adding something I shouldn't??

Thanks in advance

Well, it depends on how much time you want to put into it, but here are two basic processes to follow:

1. Wash
    2. Clay - MEguias Smooth Surface CLay kit
    3. Clean - Deep Crstal #1 is a good mild cleaner
    4. Polish - DC#2 is a good polish
    5. Wax - Nxt Tech Wax is good. Remember 2 thin coats is best, or 1 Nxt and 1 of you other one.

OR:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. ColorX - This is a great one step product.
    4. Wax - Nxt Tech Wax

Basicaly, the routine you mentioned did not have any sort of cleaning/polishing steps, and even though it seems like new paint should be perfect, there is still dirt to get out and little imperfections to fill in.

Claying is a bit more optional, but personaly, I would highly recomend it for a new car.

Hope that helps a little, or ask some more
    Last edited by Murr1525; Jul 29, 2006, 12:48 PM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks Murr1525

Didn't think about the polishing step since it was new, but you're right. I've already noticed 'stuff' that's hard to get off the paint. Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, if you just want to keep it simple, go look for the Smooth Surface clay kit and some ColorX. Top it off with your favorite wax, do the routine regularly, and you'll be in good shape for a while.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');