• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

deep gloss & swirl free after wet sanding without residue remaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deep gloss & swirl free after wet sanding without residue remaining

My request is serious and sincere, this is not an attempt to advertise my companies products. Mike, we have spoken in the past over the phone and I trust any input or advice you can offer.

I have recently started working with Nanotechnology Smart Surface Treatments for the protection of the car body. In the past I would wet sand the surface which also removed the waxes or other paint protection a client had on their paint "mechanical instead of chemical/solvent removal of the coatings". Once I had worked up to 4000 I would use the Meguiars compounds and polishes with an old school Black and Decker Buffmaster Rotary, foam pads and so on. No matter the color of the vehicle I always had a mirror finish.

I have to change my plan of attack now since the paint surface has to be sterile "free of any wax/silicone/polymer/dimethylsiloxane, even petroleum residue" in order for the surface restructuring to take place. Many installs are being performed on new vehicles that may have some residue left over from whatever carwash solution "probably a polymer blend" the car dealership uses.

What do you recommend to ensure there are no contaminants of any kind that might have been left behind by cleaning and or polishing the painted surface? The treatment is of a medical grade biological alcohol carrier which will cause the surface to haze "primarily on black and other dark colors" if there is any residue left on the surface.

I realize this is out of the norm since most all compounds and or polishes contain some form of polymer, petroleum or other glossifier and most people will follow up with a wax or polymer sealant.

What can be used to wipe a vehicle finish to remove wax be it synthetic or carnauba even ****** paint sealant, that does not leave a chemical film behind?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Best Regards,

John Moore
    If you want a perfect finish do a perfect job. Leave the corner cutting to the race car drivers.

have you tried Isopropyl alcohol mixed with distilled water?

should remove any final polish synthetics

Comment

Thanks for the idea, you actually answered a secondary question I posted on a different thread "which acolhol are people mixing with water". Five Star, Are you going 50:50 ratio?

Thanks again for taking your time to reply.
      If you want a perfect finish do a perfect job. Leave the corner cutting to the race car drivers.

Comment

Maybe one of the prep solvents that paint shops use.
        Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

yes i keep it 50/50, but i am not always down to the precise amount.

for your application you may need to up it to 60/40 or even 70/30

you may want to invest in a DI system

even distilled water isnt as pure as maybe you would need it.

Comment

Re: deep gloss & swirl free after wet sanding without residue remaining

Originally posted by nanotec

I have to change my plan of attack now since the paint surface has to be sterile "free of any wax/silicone/polymer/dimethylsiloxane, even petroleum residue" in order for the surface restructuring to take place.
            By the words,

surface restructuring

do you mean, an application of some type of paint protectant?

If so, doesn't the manufacture have a recommendation? They know their product best.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: deep gloss & swirl free after wet sanding without residue remaining

Mike,

Has been a while since I posted the original Thread. My lab and I managed to come up with a formula that removed the traditional car wash and compouding swirl marks leaving a flawless deep finish. This is a 100% water carrier and fine particulates at 45nanometers in size, there is no chemical suspension agents nor glossifiers added to the mix. The old saying "what you see is what you get" has been taken to a new meaning.

We also engineered a heavier cutting agent that will reduce orange peel as well as mild scratches in the clear, then follow up with the soft polish.

If you would like to experiment with these shoot me a message.

I will post pictures of a black truck panel we refined with this product then made NanoBionic.

Thanks again for the past expertise you have so generously shared, hell, you talked me through my first wet sanding job years ago when you handled phone calls.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');