• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X compared to prof. line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch X compared to prof. line

Can anyone tell me what Scratch X most closely relates to in the professional line? I have been trying to work Scratch X in by hand to remove some swirls in my '00 celica's paint but after 3-4-5 passes with lots of elbow grease I am having no luck. I was thinking about trying #80 but from what im reading it sounds like #80 is probably similar to Scratch X as far as cutting power goes so I may need to do #83 instead.

Any ideas/comments?

Thanks!

If you can't remove the defects by hand using ScratchX the next option is to use a machine with a product from our Professional Line, not try to use a more aggressive product by hand.

What you're discovering is what many enthusiast do-it-yourselfers discover and that when manufactures changed over to basecoat/clearcoat paint system, in some cases, the paint is harder than traditional single stage paints and that makes it more difficult for you and I to remove defects.

If ScratchX isn't working fast enough, or effectively enough, then the next best option is to make the move to machine polishing.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

There is no real direct cross over, because most of the pro products can be used by D/A and also a rotary buffer.

If we had to say one, it would be either M-02 (Fine Cut Cleaner)or M-09 (Swirl Remover) or M-82 (Swirl Free Polish).

As I stated before we can't directly cross them over but these would be close. The good thing is you can jump to a D/A polisher and use any of the above listed products and have much greater swirl removing characteristics.

You mentioned M-80 and many have great success with M-80 (Speed Glaze) because it is a tad bit more aggressive than M-09, M-09 or even M-82.

Any of them with a D/A would be a great choice

Good Luck.

Mike
      Mike Pennington
      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
      Meguiar's, Inc.
      800-854-8073
      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Thanks a lot fellas

Comment

I used Scratcg X forr the 1st time a few months back and wasnt to impressed with it, i used the directions that i had read on here (plenty of elbow grease etc) but all i ended up with was a very streaky sorta mess really and ended up gettin really frustrated, what have i dont wrong
          Detailing is a passion NOT a chore

Comment

Is M02 more or less aggressive than M83? I wasn't sure since the M02 was reformulated.

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by roaringlion
              I used Scratcg X forr the 1st time a few months back and wasnt to impressed with it, i used the directions that i had read on here (plenty of elbow grease etc) but all i ended up with was a very streaky sorta mess really and ended up gettin really frustrated, what have i dont wrong
              Hi roaringlion,

What are working on? As in what kind of car? Factory paint or re-paint?

What are the defects in the paint that you are trying to remove?

You see not everything can be fixed by hand, no matter how great a person's skill level, no matter how many times they apply the product.

Some paint simply doesn't lend itself to being abraded by hand with the goal being to remove a defect and leave the finish looking nice.

It's completely possible that the lack of good results has nothing to do with you, nor nothing to do with our product but has everything to do with the paint characteristics and the type of defects in the paint.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Hi roaringlion,

What are working on? As in what kind of car? Factory paint or re-paint?

What are the defects in the paint that you are trying to remove?

You see not everything can be fixed by hand, no matter how great a person's skill level, no matter how many times they apply the product.

Some paint simply doesn't lend itself to being abraded by hand with the goal being to remove a defect and leave the finish looking nice.

It's completely possible that the lack of good results has nothing to do with you, nor nothing to do with our product but has everything to do with the paint characteristics and the type of defects in the paint.
                Hey Mike,

im working on a 96 Mitubitshi lancer coupe, not sure if you would get the same model over there in the states, im not up to speed with my paints but apparantly its a 2pack paint (according to a guy a talked to at a local spray painters) plus its also faded (only on 1 side from the rear up to before the front wheel arch (i think you lot call that something differant), i think thats all the questions answered, hope you could understand all that as in what im trying to convey
                Detailing is a passion NOT a chore

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');