• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Which Products Appropriate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Which Products Appropriate

Hi all -

I'm very new here and have been spending my time reading and reading and reading. I think I've confused myself - yes, I know typical girl.

At any rate, I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Black Clearcoat, with a ton of dark grey plastic trim. The previous owner did not take care of the car's exterior and while the paint is in fairly good condition, it has a gazillion swirl marks - not to mention another ton of minor scratches and chips, but the clear coat is still nice and shiny. I've used touch up paint on the door jams, etc. for the chips and some of the scratches and it's an ok job. BUT it's not good enough for me.

So, I already have a 3/4 full jug of DC wash and I guess I should also note that I have never clayed before. Is the following a decent workup to try? DC wash, DC paint cleaner, ScratchX, DC polish and I'm not sure which to try - NXT or GC for the wax.

I should also note that due to nerve damage in my elbows, I can't use a buffer - the vibration is just too much - so I do everything by hand.

I just want to make it look better and don't want to screw up what some jughead should've taken care of in the first place.

Any advise from any of the plethora of experts that hang out here would be greatly appreciated!

Stephanie
    Stephanie

You would get the best shine if you clay it first. Sounds like a purty good plan though. It would take alot of work to get ALL the swirls out with scratchx on the entire jeep.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Dont worry, you can get good results by hand.

Steps:

1. Wash - DC Wash is a good choice, remember ot use the 2-bucket system and good towels/sponges.

2. Clay - I know you said you havent clayed before... but it takes 2 seconds to learn, and is very very worth it. It will be one of the most enjoyable things you do.

3. Clean - ScratchX and DC#1 are good choices. ScratchX will take a lot of effort, but it will work if you work it long enough, and a few applications. If you do the whole jeep with ScratchX, you wont need to follow up with DC#1. Just DC#1 areas that you dont use ScratchX, or save it for future details when ScratchX isnt needed.

Also, you might want to break it up. Such as Wash and clay everything, but just focus on ScratchXing, polishing, and waxing a section a day. Dont kill yourself.

4. Polish - DC#2 is a good, easy to use polish.

5. Wax - In my opinion, if you happen to see the new 16oz of #21 Synthetic Wax, get that. Otherwise, Nxt and Gold Class are also very good choices.

Do keep in mind that ScratchX will not remove touch up paint 'blobs', if that is what you were hoping for.

For your trim, the Gold Class Trim Detailer is very good. But if you find a shop by you that sells Professional and Detailer Line products, you should be able to pick up the #21, and some All-Season Dressing for the trim there.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

A couple other quick points....

If the jeep has never been clayed more than likely its going to need it, after a wash and dry run your hand over the surface of the paint, if it feels rough to the touch you need to clay. Remember to use lots of quik detailer, I use an entire 16oz bottle on my truck. Either of Meguiars clays will work great: Quik Clay System -or- Smooth Surfaceâ„¢ Clay Kit

If you have not seen it you might look over this thread: How To Remove Swirls By Hand, very helpful when using ScratchX

It may take a little work but it will be well worth it in the end and like Murr1525 mentioned break it up over a weekend.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

to MOL

Nice to see a Milwaukee person the board!
          2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

Thanks alot for the input guys! I knew you pro's would know what to do. And thanks for the welcome Mike!

Unfortunately, while taking a closer look at the Jeep today - I noticed some of what everyone calls orange peel - so I'm going to have read up on that now. Thankfully it's not on the whole vehicle - only on one rear quarter panel and the liftgate.

I'll be sure to take some before and after photos and it appears this will be a time consuming process (but well worth it at any rate), so I'll wait with the photos until I'm completely done.

Thanks again and have a great night!

Stephanie
            Stephanie

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');