• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cloudy plastic headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cloudy plastic headlights

hi guys i just need some help from the pros.

i have plastic headlights on my 2000 toyota celica and i have cloudy looking headlights with some oxidation and scratches, i have used plastic x, scratch x and it doesnt really seem to bring up the gloss and get rid of the imperfections on my headlight, im using a meguiars applicator pad and microfibre cloth.

what can i do? heres a pic of my headlight

You can use your PC or rotary with a cutting pad to get rid of the hazy stuff. Here a thread I made. I polished my mom's headlights just a few hours ago.

clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=231466

If you can only do it by hand, then I suggest you keep on scrubbing it because it's going to take forever.

Comment

man job well done! i want to buy a buffer but im unsure of what to get, i went to the local hardware store and they only had random orbitol sanders and not random orbitol buffers, are they the same thing? im only new to this and i heard random orbitol buffers are the way to go because its hard to stuff up ur paint job

Comment

If you just want to do the headlights you can look for 4" foam pads and a drill arbor on line, I used a set to do my integra lights and the difference was amazing took 2-3 minutes per lamp.

Of course the best bang for your buck long term is probably a PC and a Rotary but the 4" pads make it easy and I got a 4" plate for my PC so I can use it with the drill for access or the PC for spot paint correction.

Comment

You guys are forgetting to give him information on the cheapest route.

Alright. Meguiar's ScratchX and PlasticX have diminishing abraisives in their formulas that break down as you work them in.

Let's make sure you are using proper technique. Use the recommended amount of product on the pad, spread it around a small area that you are going to work, and then work it in.

This is what Mike Phillips calls "putting passion behind the pad." I'd work the pad up and down, pressing down in order to break down the diminishing abraisives. As you work, the surface should become cleaner and cleaner.

Once the product is near invisible, remove, inspect, and repeat if necessary.
          Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
          Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

I agree with liquidblack. I guess I was spoiled because I have a rotary. i tried plastix by hand and it didn't help as much as I wanted it to. But Tinkz's headlights do not look as bad as the camry I did, so plastix probably would work perfectly.

Comment

Re: cloudy plastic headlights

is that a makita buffer and if so is it better than a PC

Comment

Originally posted by kadidle77 View Post
                is that a makita buffer and if so is it better than a PC
                Green body = Hitachi. Probably the SP18VA. It's a direct drive rotary, not a dual-action like the PC.

2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty Crew 6.0L Diesel - Black
                2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Dark Shadow Gray

Comment

HI there. I was a little skeptical about the way that the headlight was done. If you look on he back of that particular bottle of headlight renew stuff, it says that it will last only 3 months and then you will have to do it again. I would only like to do it once every five years and there are abrasive compounds that get that job done but have a longer effect. No offense to anyone, just advising.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');