• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubber gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rubber gloves

Originally posted by MaxImage View Post
    Usually the powder washes off under water, or if you're starting with a fresh pair at the beginning of the detail, by the time you're ready to wipe the car down, the powder is gone. To remove the powder, wash your gloved hands with a little bit of soap (i.e. hand or car wash), as if you were washing your hands normally. This should remove the powder so that you won't be making things white.
    but then don't the gloves become permeable? I remember hearing something about that in Chem once, but i don't pay a whole lot of attention in chem. I think that is why Nitrile gloves are better than latex.
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

?? Is it bad if things like wax,wheel cleaner, tire gel, ect. bad for your hands, i mean they are chemicals but can the cause damage to your skin? It seems veery inconvinent and wastful to use gloves every time? ive never wore gloves and i havent had a problem, is there some hidden damage being done?

Comment

Originally posted by Thejoyofdriving View Post
        ?? Is it bad if things like wax,wheel cleaner, tire gel, ect. bad for your hands, i mean they are chemicals but can the cause damage to your skin? It seems veery inconvinent and wastful to use gloves every time? ive never wore gloves and i havent had a problem, is there some hidden damage being done?
        Well, in most cases its not a big deal to get a product on your hands, products like wheel cleaners might be a little more harsh than other products like a Quik Detailer. About the worst thing you will get are dry hands.... In my case I have to wear gloves when handling just about everything from cleaning the kitchen to working in the garage, each person is different for different reasons.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

If you find your hands getting very dry and rough then wear gloves not just for your skin but also a rough dry hand on car paint ain't exactly safe.

If you find your hands stay nice and smooth even after detailing then you know you have no reason to wear gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by sneek View Post
            but then don't the gloves become permeable? I remember hearing something about that in Chem once, but i don't pay a whole lot of attention in chem. I think that is why Nitrile gloves are better than latex.
            Nitrile is not chemical proof, it offers a longer episode of chemical resistance compared to other types of gloves. They do in fact make gloves designed for the everyday use of harsh chemicals. Do an online search for it and see what comes up. The only thing is, these types of gloves tend not to be economical for detailing purposes. They cost a few dollars per pair, instead of a few cents. I believe that many of them are also reusable, but don't quote me on that.

I'm not sure on the exact permeability of nitrile, but they do make different thicknesses of nitirle gloves (measured in mils). Washing the gloves with plain soap and water before you start will not cause the gloves to instantaneously become permeable. The prolonged exposure to car wash, weak acids and other chemicals involved with detailing over the course of hours will break down the nitrile. However, I have neither tested nor have read of any studies done on this. I'm assuming that the moisture in my gloves at the end of a 2-3 hour detail are the result of my hands sweating (I usually don't have clamly hands, but moisture loss at the point of your hand is normal), water entering from the cuff portion of the glove, and possibly from the water permeating the glove directly.

Latex is a naturally occuring substance, and like most naturally occuring substances, will usually break down faster than man made ones. Take a house for example, build one out of wood, and another out of plastic. The wood one is prone to a greater rate of deterioration than a plastic one. Even metals in its pure state are relatively soft and are subject to speedy deterioration due to environmental factors. In a simple answer, nitrile is superior to latex because of the way it is made. Their chemical structures differ and because of this, nitrile is superior to latex in chemical resistance.

Comment

Kimberly Clark blue Nitrile Safeskin gloves can be had at Walmart look where the bandages are close to the pharmacy.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');