• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does cleaning, polishing, then using a cleaner wax (like 66) defeat the purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does cleaning, polishing, then using a cleaner wax (like 66) defeat the purpose?

I'm still learning, learning more and more every time I detail a car. Really getting technique down and I think I've gotten a long way.

I did have a question though. On a FULL detail, something that required something like #83 and a rotary, followed by a lesser strength cleaner/polish, does it defeat the purpose of the POLISH part to use a cleaner wax like 66 or the consumer line cleaner wax?

Matthew 19:26

I suppose the answer is sort of.

You could do something like #83 -> #66 -> Pure wax if wanted.

But to do #83, #80, #66, pure wax if wanted, I think #66 is close enough to #80 in cleaning ability that you arent going to get any real benefit, and the #80 will have more polishing oils, etc, to really make things look better.

If you are going to use #66, I think it should be to cut out steps, save some time.

So to summarize:

1. Good: #83 -> #80 -> Wax -> Wax
    2. Good: #83 -> #66 -> Wax

3. Bad: #83 -> #80 -> #66 -> Wax
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: does cleaning, polishing, then using a cleaner wax (like 66) defeat the purpose?

Originally posted by navyblue2000
      On a FULL detail, something that required something like #83 and a rotary, followed by a lesser strength cleaner/polish, does it defeat the purpose of the POLISH part to use a cleaner wax like 66 or the consumer line cleaner wax?
      When you refer to "polish part", do you mean the action of the product, or the adding of polishing oils contained in the cleaner/polish?

Either way, both our cleaner/polishes and our cleaner/waxes contain cleaners and conditioning oils and the end result will be the total net sum of your work and both of these types of products will work to bring your finish to a higher level.

What are you working on?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

going to be working on a few vehicles that could use some freshening up, but nothing that really needs an "extreme makeover".

would 83 via rotary on 8006, then 66 via PC on 8006, then a pure wax work?

Matthew 19:26

Comment

If it just needs freshened up, you might not even need the #83.

You might just need to use the PC:
          #66 -> Wax
          #80 -> Wax -> Wax

Might be all you need. Just have to see what you need when you get them.

If they need rotary work, then #83 -> #66 -> Wax would be good also.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');