• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing chrome?

I came across this information on another website. What do you guys think?

".....CHROME: Exterior chrome plated parts are very easy to maintain. For normal cleaning, use glass cleaner. Spray into a towel and wipe to remove grime. Follow with a clean towel and burnish to a streak free gloss. To remove soiling build-up or water spots, clean surface with a chrome or metal polish or a glass polish that is friendly to chrome. NEVER USE WAX ON CHROME SURFACES. Wax will seal the surface, and will not allow the plating to breath. This will cause pitting and destruction to the surface. Wipe with a towel, and burnish with a clean towel. Clean paint edges carefully to avoid polish getting on adjacent surfaces. Masking tape will work nicely. Finish using glass cleaner as described above....."

I agree with most of the stuff on this website, but I have a hard time with this idea. I've been waxing chrome for 45 years.

Tom

My guess is the author experienced "pitting and destruction to the surface" after waxing the item in question.

This of course is a sample of one. If the bumper or whatever he was waxing was poorly chromed in the first place, he may have attributed the pitting and destruction to waxing instead of faulty chroming.

I take it that you haven't seen this pitting or desctruction in your 45 years of waxing chrome. I've never heard of chrome needing to breathe. I have seen unprotected chrome succumb to the elements.

Go with your 45 years of experience and be cautious about any other "tips" from this guy!

Comment

I have spoke with a wheel chroming company and they told me when my wheels arrive for me to wax them right out of the box.
      Products are only a good as the detailer using them.

Comment

doesn't paint need to "breath"? we wax that.
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

I have waxed chrome for years with out a problem. We would wax the bumpers, wheels, trim everything.

Comment

doesn't paint need to "breath"? we wax that.
            Depends on the type of paint. Custom lacquer paint jobs generally do need to breathe. These paint jobs are usually found on really high end jobs, or restored/collector cars. Typical cars being produced today have modern finishes that do not "breathe". All the VOCs have been removed due to environmental and waste disposal issues.

As for waxing chrome, I've been doing it for a long time too. I've heard stories about waxing chrome... for instance, the wax will turn yellow if it gets heated (if you're waxing a chrome exhaust tip, for example). I've never experienced this. I clean the chrome with a gentle cleaner (I like P21S multisurface finish restorer or Nevr-Dull Wadding), and then apply a wax or sealant.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Well that is a new one to me! I have waxed/sealed my chrome for years without a single problem!

Cheers!
              Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

tguil,

Come on and tell us which website that advice came from!

Comment

Thanks Google

Comment

From the pros that bring you "PIGSNOT BIKER WAX". Call 'em at 1-877-GET-TAILED!

Comment

When it comes to waxing chrome, a thin layer of wax, natural or synthetic will act to slow down corrosion. Chrome is pretty durable by itself. I have been to many wrecking yards and seen plenty of cars rusting away, the paint all but gone, but the chrome intact.

The most important thing you can do to keep chrome from deteriorating or rusting is to keep it clean. If you look at a set of older chrome wheels in good shape, you will often see hints of rust in the seams of the wheels while the larger easy to wash surfaces are rust free. The seams are hard to wash and thus dirt builds up and remains their after washing. It is the build up of dirt and other crud over time on chrome that accelerates corrosion.

Besides keeping chrome as clean as possible, the next best thing you can do is to polish and apply wax. A non-abrasive polish will remove contaminants that washing doesn't remove and a coating of some type of protectant will slow down the effects of exposure to the environment.

Mike
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The source of the chrome advice is:

It's really a pretty good website.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X