• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubbing Compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbing Compound?

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my Dad is replacing the engine on a 1990 dull pink (badly oxidized red) Celica. I told him I would detail the paint, and asked him to pay for the products. Well, the engine was about $700 so he doesn't have a whole lot of money to spend on it right now. So when I asked him to give me some money to pick up some ScratchX the other day, he told me he would like to just try some "old-school rubbing compound". So I picked up some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound . I tried to reason with him that ScratchX works much better than any rubbing compound since the compound will just put scratches into the paint. When he was a kid he used to detail cars with his Dad, though, so he's used to the rubbing compound and besides it's cheaper. So I thought maybe I could remove the main part of the oxidation with the rubbing compound, then use ScratchX to remove the swirls. Would I just be making more work for myself or might that actually work? The back of the tub of Rubbing Compound says to use with caution since if you use it too much or too hard in one area, it could rub right through the paint (paraphrasing here). I REALLY don't want to use the rubbing compound, but then again I don't really have the money to pay for the tubes of ScratchX that would be needed to do the whole car. I'm doing the car by hand, by the way, and it is single stage paint. Any recommendations as to what I should do would be appreciated.

P.S. I might try the Rubbing Compound on one area of the paint, then try ScratchX on an area right next to it and point out to my Dad how much better the area I ScratchXed looks than the area I used rubbing compound on.

P.P.S. Sorry about the long post.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

I see that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think that for a single stage paint a traditional rubbing compound should be fine. But not sure if the abrasives will break down like Scratch X. Why don't you try Color X? Its a cleaner wax on steroids that will remove the oxidation and some light scratches at the same time will leave a layer of wax. Of course, you need work the product really good like Scratch X.
    Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Even in "the old days" rubbing compound by itself left a pretty nasty finish. Most people didn't (still don't) know how good a finish can look so the fact that you removed the milky (or even chalky) haze was good enough. At least single stage paint is much more forgiving and the compounds' scratching isn't nearly as visible as on a clearcoat.

Those of us who thought we new what we were doing always followed the rubbing compound with a polishing compound. You got a pretty nice shine that way and since it was "hand rubbed" you didn't get obvious buffer swirls but it certainly wasn't a deep flawless gloss by any stretch of the imagination. Hey, I didn't know any better. I sure wish somebody had introduced me to Meguiar's back then.

You definitely want to do test spots with whatever products/applicators/techniques/combinations you'll be trying. Hopefully, the results will get the idea across.

PC.

Comment

Well my Dad tried out the rubbing compound the other day and saw the awful swirls it left, so tonight when he got home from work I showed him how good of a job ScratchX did, and he agreed that the rubbing compound wasn't very good. So he's gonna pay for however much ScratchX it takes to do the car. Also, I tried out my buffer (3200 rpms) with ScratchX on the roof and it worked somewhat. I still will need to go over it with ScratchX by hand to get it looking really nice, but the buffer removed most of the oxidation. My arms are a little sore, though....the buffer shakes my arms a lot. Oh well. So, all that to say, I LOVE SCRATCHX. lol. I haven't clayed the paint, and I was wondering if maybe I could skip claying it since I'm going to have to ScratchX the whole car? Would ScratchX remove the bonded contaminants? Also I can probably skip using paint cleaner since I'm using ScratchX, right?

BTW Thanks so much for the help!

The engine bay should be pretty easy to clean once Dad gets the engine out on the plus side.
        Lydia's Mobile Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia
          ... I showed him how good of a job ScratchX did...

... I haven't clayed the paint, and I was wondering if maybe I could skip claying it since I'm going to have to ScratchX the whole car? ...
          Claying will help the ScratchX do its job better.

..Would ScratchX remove the bonded contaminants? ...
          Some, but not as efficiently as the clay will.

...I can probably skip using paint cleaner since I'm using ScratchX, right? ..
          ScratchX is a cleaner, so you are doing the cleaner step. You don't need any other cleaners if ScratchX is getting the job done.

PC.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help, PC! This car is turning out to be a fun project...I have plenty of time to work on it so I don't have to rush myself or tire myself out.

I did a complete test spot (Clay, ScratchX, ColorX, DC2, and NXT) on one of the mirrors (the paint on it not the mirror itself lol) and the paint polished up very well.

Note: I was going to use only DC2 and NXT, but I couldn't find my DC2, so I put ColorX on. Then once I buffed off the ColorX, I found my DC2 so I went ahead and put that on too. For the rest of the car I am only planning on using clay, ScratchX, DC2, and NXT.
            Lydia's Mobile Detailing

Comment

Got any pictures?
              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Ok thanks for the help, PC! This car is turning out to be a fun project...I have plenty of time to work on it so I don't have to rush myself or tire myself out.

I did a complete test spot (Clay, ScratchX, ColorX, DC2, and NXT) on one of the mirrors (the paint on it not the mirror itself lol) and the paint polished up very well.

Note: I was going to use only DC2 and NXT, but I couldn't find my DC2, so I put ColorX on. Then once I buffed off the ColorX, I found my DC2 so I went ahead and put that on too. For the rest of the car I am only planning on using clay, ScratchX, DC2, and NXT.
                I am so glad to see that you are not timid when it comes to trying out the products you are using I call this my field test research. I still keep finding uses for #40.
                The way a person treats their car is a direct reflection of how they treat themselves

Comment

For the rest of the car I am only planning on using clay, ScratchX, DC2, and NXT.
                  Glad to hear that things are turning good. Yes, definetely a good plan.
                  Cheers
                  Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');