• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W-Dressing Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W-Dressing Questions

I've heard quite a bit of buzz about the W-Dressing and I have a few questions for those of you that have tried the product....

First... I've heard it compared to #40 in luster and appearance. I love #40 but have had minimal problems with it in dusty environments. Can anyone comment to how W- does with road dust and other dusty environments? Does it tend to attract?

There is another dressing from Meg's Detailer line called S-Dressing. What are the primary differences between these two products? Thus far, I've heard little to no buzz about S- and am curious to hear the differences in application/longevity etc...

Sling. Have you tried these products on tires? How well does it 'stay-put'?

Thanks in advance folks. I've been nothing short of thrilled with the Detailer Line products that I've experimented with as of yet (FD, APC+, Citrigel) and am anxious to hear comments/suggestions/locations of Costco in Iowa (see other threads to get this joke).

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

w- is water based. I don't like the w-dressing. It cost about the same as a gallon of #40 but falls way short of perfroming anywhere like it.

It seemed to look OK on plastic bumpers and trim but is hard to work with and dosn't look very good on tires.

S-is solvent based. S-dressing dries shiney. It can be sprayed on wet tires and still dry nice. There is the problem of it mudding up (dust and dirt bonding with it) with repeated applications. And sling seeemed to be a problem. You really have to play with it so it dosn't sling.

I use 2 gallons of #40 a month and love it.
    Last edited by Superior Shine; Feb 25, 2004, 07:03 PM.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

SS,

Thanks for the insight and suggestions. Maybe I should just stick with #40 as it is a 'tried and true' product in my eyes. I love the stuff but was interested in exploring all options.

THANKS!

RP
      -The Final Detail-
      Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

Just to chime in here,

I had an account that ordered a case of W-Dressing each month for interior use. This was for a high production car wash that also offered Express Detailing. The guy who did all the interior detailing loved this stuff.

So like a lot of products, it's a personal preference thing.

I had another account, a Lexus dealership that loved #40 and used it on all of their reconditioning of used cars. Yep, they were using it on both the leather and vinyl interiors on Lexus vehicles.

I told them #40 was not for use on leather, but the gentleman the did the interior work loved it because it cleans well and seem to bring life back into dry leather. A lot of their used cars came from Southern California. (This was in the Portland Oregon area)

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm pretty sure you hit the nail on the head there Mike. It **IS** a personal preference thing...

I have bottles and bottles of stuff that guys have SWORN by thus, I thought to myself "Why don't I own this product?"... I'd run out, buy it, and use it once, maybe twice and shelve it.

I can't tell you the number of bottles of 'tire shine' products that I've ended up using in my wheel wells only because it wasn't worthy of anything else on my vehicle in my eyes... but, in turn, there were others out there swearing that it was the only thing they'd EVER use. LOL!

It's all an opinion...

RP
          -The Final Detail-
          Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

I am about to find out too! Just ordered a gallon of it. One reason I bought is the ability to dilute it for low gloss, interior for me, and straight up for high gloss, exterior.

Comment

NC State... you guys are having a pretty good year on the hardwood!

We have a guy here in the office that's a NC State Alum and that's all we EVER hear about... Of course, it's easy to stomach during basketball season as our Univ. of Kentucky is almost always above them but, come football season, it's DEFINATELY a different story!

Back to the W-Dressing... I look forward to hearing your results. I'm not in a pinch yet for dressing but, the #40 bottle is getting very light...

RP
              -The Final Detail-
              Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

NC State fans are a rabid bunch, myself included. I am loving basketball season. People talk about their favorite seasons being fall and spring. My favorite seasons are football and basketball.

Anyone else with w-dressing experience?

Comment

I use $40 and w dressing, #40 for interior I also use it on leather ( coated leather ) it dries nice and lasts a while. I dont like #40 on the tires it doesnt always look the way I want. On the other hand I dont use w on the inside, only for tires. It has a nice dark satin shine a little more glossy than #40 ( on tires )
                  If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Personal preference deffinitely. I've used #40 and W dressing. I like W dressing because it's more of a gel form. On the interior I usually apply it thick on the dash and let it sit and come back with a towel and wipe the excess off for a nice natural matte finish. The dash in my car is black, and 40 was nice, but the W dressing seems to have worked it's way in over time and gave it that perfect brand new look. Then again it could just verry well be the difference from a Ford dash to a Honda dash too.

I always have considered W dressing to be a less fragrant gel form of 40 essentially. As far as dust I can't necessarily vouche, but my black dash shows every spec of dust so I keep a swiffer in the car to give it quick wipe overs from time to time for metenience. But it doesn't seem to attract dust. My interiors due for a cleaning here this weekend. One of these days I'll post pictures.
                    Later,
                    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                    Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Well I got a guinea pig to play with my new DA polisher on, the deal was I had to detail the whole car. Here's the dash with W dressing on it. It was getting a bit dark outside so the flash went off so there is that one spot where it reflected. Tomorrow if it hasn't all soaked in I will wipe it with a towel to give it a perfect satin look. Results are very similar to #40. This car has almost 100,000 miles on it too. The previous owner took decent care of it, then again it's only a few years old.

PM me if you want, I know a guy that will sell you a small bottle of it to try out.
                      Last edited by Rick; Feb 29, 2004, 07:21 PM.
                      Later,
                      Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                      Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

last year i used gold class trim detailer and then yesturday i bought a bottle of #40 and wow what a defference made my exterior plastic and rubber trim look better then new this is deffently what im gonn abew useing for now on

Comment

The Gold Class Trim Detailer is a tremendous product! I've used it in a few different applications and have had nothing but superior results.

I concur though, #40 is a tried and true product that is loved by professionals and shade tree detailers alike!

RP
                          -The Final Detail-
                          Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

This is an interesting discussion as I have a fair amount of exterior black vinyl trim that I have to keep looking good in order to make the vehicle look right. Grey trim just doesn't work.
                            I have been using Gold Class Trim Detailer and have been pleased with it plus #40 on some of the low (rocker panel) trim.
                            I have one piece that is on the top of the rear bumper cover and it is a large piece of black pebbled vinyl. If it gets wet it marks and I've got to detail it immediately. I'm looking for the "perfect product" I guess and possibly it doesn't exist. I'm rather reluctant to try pure "tire" products on this trim.
                            Comments Please.

Comment

is there any way to get a sample of #40 from meguiars??? I always like to try something before I buy it?? Mike, is it possible to get samples?

Slats
                              -------------
                              John 17:3
                              -------------

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');