• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silly tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly tire question

HI Folks,

I searched the boards and didn't find an answer to this question I've had as a newb.

I know not to put tire dressing on the tread of the tires as it is dangerous and slippery when driving. But what about cleaning? All the pics I see of folks cleaning their tires shows only the outside getting scrubbed. Can I take a brush and scrub around on the tread too? Or should I just leave that alone?

Thanks!

Unless your car's entered in a concours or you're shooting a tire commercial, what's the point? The minute you move the car, the tread will be dirty.

Of course, it would be fun to watch somebody clean the tread on tires:

"O.K., I'm done!"

"Hey, you missed a spot."

"Whaadaya mean?"

"Well you didn't get the bottom part of the tire. You'll have to move the car forward a couple of feet to get to it."

"Thanks!"

(Moves car.)

"Hey! Now the bottom of the tire is dirty again."

"D**n!"

(Moves car forward again.)

Ad infinitum, ad redundum......

Comment

Not saying anyone else should try this, but at car shows I apply tire dressing to my tread to make everything look deep black and nice, and I've never lost traction while driving after the car show. I never use to do it, and then I noticed a lot of other people did it at car shows, so I gave it a try, and have yet to notice a difference in my tire grip. My two cents on that issue...

But as STG said, unless you're photographing the car or entering a show, cleaning your treads is sort of pointless, as the spot on the ground is going to get dirty, or stay dirty, let alone the minute you drive the car the tires will get just as dirty again. But hey, if you feel up to it, I am sure your tires will appreciate the good scrubbing!
      2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Turbo
      2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Comment

I think just some Hot Shine SPRAY is good.

Comment

I'm thinking about picking the rocks out of my tires on my F250 Powerstroke.

P.S.: I drive on gravel roads every day.

Comment

I would like to do that sometimes after going offroading, but it takes way to much time. You can wash any part of the car/tire you want. I wouldnt go washing the exhaust or anything, but whatever makes you happy.

The tire dressing wears off the tread before you even pull out onto the road. It will not cause you to loose control or anything crazy like that.
            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');