• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Sanding By Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Sanding By Hand

So, here's the story. I have a long history of wet sanding by hand. This includes touch ups to both factory paints and custom paints as well as correcting defects in new paints. In the past I've used 2000 or 2500 grit paper followed by Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover. As has been said in other posts, sometimes removing the sand marks is a relatively short and easy process and sometimes a much longer and physically demanding task.

My current problem is this. I began using a magnetic tank bag on my motorcycle recently while commuting to work. Over time fine bits of metallic dust became trapped by the magnets and left some moderate to minor marks in the paint as the bag was buffeted by the wind while riding. The paint by the way is custom, not factory.

The Swirl Remover by itself got some out, but did nothing for many of them. At this point I seem faced with wet sanding the entire tank. However, I tried wet sanding it on a small area and this clear coat is especially stubborn (or my swirl remover is especially old). Which leaves wet sanding the entire tank and then removing the swirl marks as an extremely daunting task.

So, is there a better/less agressive alternative to wet sanding? Or, if I'm stuck with wet sanding, is there a better sequence? For example, wet sand, then Speed Glaze, then Swirl Remover, etc. Is Scratch X or another product a better alternative to the ones I've mentioned?

Thanks for all the help guys.

I would at least try Scratch-X. It's pretty amazing stuff.
    I've always been crazy...
    It keeps me from going insane!

Comment

Re: Wet Sanding By Hand

Originally posted by eandrews2
      So, here's the story. I have a long history of wet sanding by hand.
      Hi eandrews2,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

M09 is our least aggressive cleaner/polish in the Professional Line, unless you're working on very soft paint with very shallow sanding marks, it's likely this product isn't aggressive enough to remove enough paint to remove the sanding marks and an order to remove your #2000 and #2500 sanding marks you'll need a more aggressive product.

Remember, pad selection and tool selection are also critical at determining your success or lack thereof when removing sanding marks by machine.

What type of machine are you using?
      What type of pad are you using to apply the #9 Swirl Remover 2.0
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Wet Sanding By Hand

For this project, I'm working entirely by hand. All the wet sanding will need to be done by hand as well as the buffing out of the sand marks. Part of the reason for this is I've moved and don't have easy access to air for my DA. The other part is that this gas tank has some custom stickers on it that are not buried in the clear, so I want to be extremely careful working around them.

So ideally, should I be working through a sequence of products i.e. wet sand, wet sand finer, aggressive polish, medium polish, and finish polish or can I simplify by starting with a more aggressive polish and skipping the wet sanding all together.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');