• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

freshly waxed...then rained on...need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freshly waxed...then rained on...need advice

so i applied color x to my car yesterday, and today it got rained on. it was hot today and the sun was out, then out of nowhere it started raining for about 1-2 hours and then the sun came out hot and strong again for the rest of the day.

my car had a very thin layer of dust/dirt and the rain and sun created dirt and water spots.

is rain water hard like well water? will this rain and dirt combination etch spots into paint? or will the wax i applied the day before prevent this from happening?

Since you applied a coat of wax to your car yesterday, the liklihood of the water spots etching into your paint is unlikely, even if it was baked in the sun. Usually, the etching of water spots occurs over time, i.e. months, where the minerals present in the rain water or water have had time to "work its magic" and dissolve your clear coat. That said, there is one true way of knowing for sure. Simply wash your car. Use this thread for more information regarding water spots.

The hardness of rain water depends on your locale. Different parts of the country have different weather conditions. Seeing that you are from LA, your rain water may be more acidic (a lower pH, and less mineral content) than other places, due to the incorporation of suspended air polutants into the water droplets. Unfortunately I am not a meterologist, and thus not an expert in the field, but I would not worry too much about your paint. Wash your car, evaluate its finish by determining if there are water spots present (most likely ON the paint [Type I], rather than IN the paint [Type II]), then post back if you need further help. Regular waxing of your car goes a long way to prevent water spots or bird droppings from etching your finish.

Comment

You should be ok. Just wash it soon if possible.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

thank you MaxImage and Murr1525. very informative posts!

unfortunately i wont be able to wash my car for another 13 days due to time constraints that being said, will my fresh coat of color x stand up to the baked on rain/dirt spots and the continuation of sun exposure? my car is a daily driver, with a black paint job thats a year old and a soft clear coat. it will be garaged at night this week, but then it will need to be parked outside next week.

so what do you think? will 13 days of not washing it with continued sun exposure etch those rain/dirt spots into the paint? or does this process need months to damage the clear coat as MaxImage pointed out?

Comment

I've certainly let it rain and sit for a while on my car with no issues. So I wouldnt worry.

One night a few months ago, I actualy misted the car with QD, hosed it off, then drove to where I was going, maybe 20 minutes at reasonable speed. I cant say it did a whole lot, but it seemd to break up some of the dirt and whatnot, so it all didnt just sit.

Just as an aside, if you ever get any drips off an overpass, or anything like that, and see any kind of a white ring, run dont walk for the QD spray and get it off ASAP.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by fgraciano1980
            thank you MaxImage and Murr1525. very informative posts!

so what do you think? will 13 days of not washing it with continued sun exposure etch those rain/dirt spots into the paint? or does this process need months to damage the clear coat as MaxImage pointed out?
            In the most sincere of terms, I'm sorry that I cannot give you a more validated opinion because I am not there to physically see your car's finish, but IMHO, I do not believe you will run into trouble with etching in those 13 days. The intensity of sunlight is stronger where I am (versus LA), albeit the rain water, probably not as acidic, and it usually takes some time for waxed paint to begin the etching process. ["Time" is used loosely because it is relative to the variety/combination of conditions at your particular location.] Do remember that you have a waxed car onto which the rain water settled, thus the Color X serves as a protective barrier to etching. Like we have both stated, wash your car as soon as possible. Just give it a quick wash and wipe down. Wax the horizontal surfaces if you have time to even wax at all.

This is something that I wouldn't lose sleep over though, and I hope that it isn't driving your bonkers. (I think we all know the feeling.) Rest assured that your coat of Color X is there for a purpose, and is likely doing a fine job.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');