• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

winter is coming couple of ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter is coming couple of ?

Iam just wanted to know how people in the snowy parts of the country keep there rides looking nice? Such as washing,snow removal,and if its better to use a different kinda of wax? Currently useing NXT liquid wax and doing things by hand. Thanks

Re: winter is coming couple of ?

Not much you can do.. just wash it on any warm days, a little exta soap is probably good.... Nxt or #21 are probably the best for winter.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

One of the most important factors that will determine how long a wax will last on the paint is how well is the paint prepared to accept the wax. Wax or any type of paint protectant will not stick to dirty paint.

When preparing for winter, after washing but before applying the wax, inspect the finish for above surface bonded contaminants. Sometimes you can't feel everything that's on the surface, thus if you want to be sure, then clay your cars paint and then clean it with a paint cleaner. Now apply two thin coats of wax allowing each coating to fully dry before removing.

When weather premits, wash and re-wax over the course of winter.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike has the answers.

Also I have been known to use a brushless type automatic car wash during colder months
        I've always been crazy...
        It keeps me from going insane!

Comment

I can't even begin to say how much I'm dreading my first winter with this car. There's NO WAY the weather will be warm enough for hand washing or waxing. I get teary just thinking about it......

I'm afraid the best I can hope for is to do one last massive detail job this fall, before it gets too cold. Then I'll have to rely on spraying it off at the car wash once or twice a week, but I won't even use the car wash's soap brush anymore. Maybe after spraying and soaping it up, I will use my Meg's wash brush on it if the temperature is above freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by gollums_friend View Post
            I can't even begin to say how much I'm dreading my first winter with this car. There's NO WAY the weather will be warm enough for hand washing or waxing. I get teary just thinking about it......

I'm afraid the best I can hope for is to do one last massive detail job this fall, before it gets too cold. Then I'll have to rely on spraying it off at the car wash once or twice a week, but I won't even use the car wash's soap brush anymore. Maybe after spraying and soaping it up, I will use my Meg's wash brush on it if the temperature is above freezing.
            You will still have the nice sunny clear COLD day to wash. Im up in Traverse City and we get that type of weather when the winds want to cooperate coming off the bay. I usually wash my truck outside with warm water in the bucket and rise it the wipe it immediately. I find it may be cold out, but due to the the sun the surface temperature is warm to was and apply wax without too may problems. It just takes the wax longer to dry. I do not wash vehicles in my garage, but I will wax in there though. I just bought a furnace for my garage so I can heat it this winter to do that and other projects.
            Last winter I used the local coin-op car wash to wet the truck and took my bucket and NXT wash and washed it there. Its just not fun doing it in the winter because as soons as you pull out the driveway again it looks like you never touched it.

Nick

Comment

what I do is wash it as often I can. For protection I use this stuff called "wax as you dry" by eagle1. I urge people to use this because this stuff leaves an amazing shine, added with some protection. Plus, its no extra step..you spray it on while the car is still wet. Its amazing stuff, I use it every other wash in the summer since its so easy to use.
              2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

If you live in an area that gets real cold and stays that way all winter, it's good to find a local detail shop that will give your car a proper handwash about once a week. Those car washes at the gas station just won't cut it!

I'm lucky that my local detail shop use Meguiar's products, so in addition to getting them to wash the car once a week for me in the winter, I also get them to put on a coat of wax every 6 weeks or so. The past two years they've been putting on #26 for me, but this winter I'll probably get them to use #21 instead.
                2018 Torch Red Corvette

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  If you live in an area that gets real cold and stays that way all winter, it's good to find a local detail shop that will give your car a proper handwash about once a week. Those car washes at the gas station just won't cut it!

I'm lucky that my local detail shop use Meguiar's products, so in addition to getting them to wash the car once a week for me in the winter, I also get them to put on a coat of wax every 6 weeks or so. The past two years they've been putting on #26 for me, but this winter I'll probably get them to use #21 instead.

That would be a lovely idea if:

a) I trusted the people who work in these shops around here (and it's a very small number to choose from).

b) If I wanted to spend $50 on a hand wash from them. Yes, I verified the price at one place.....and I had to question them 3 times to get them to tell me what brand of products they used (I'd never heard of it, can't remember what but started with an "S"). I got the feeling they were taken aback that a woman was asking these things. I get a little ticked when the "men" in these shops in my area act like females aren't supposed to be interested in taking extra good care of a vehicle/detailing. I'd rather not give them my business after that and do it myself.

Comment

First -- I make sure that my vehicles are well protected with a good quality wax.

When they get dirty I head for the coin-op and give them a thorough wash and rinse to get the major crud off. I for sure do not use the carwash brushes nor do I dry the car. Then I use the QEW (Quick and Easy Wash)process http://www.taurusclub.com/modules.ph...rticle&sid=117
                    either at the carwash or at home in my garage. I've used this process for the past two years.

I probably apply wax every eight weeks or so if the weather permits. My current wax of choice is ColorX. It cleans well and leaves a nice coat of sealant protection. It's not as tough as NXT but I do like the fact the it cleans, polishes and protects.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by gollums_friend View Post
                      That would be a lovely idea if:

a) I trusted the people who work in these shops around here (and it's a very small number to choose from).

b) If I wanted to spend $50 on a hand wash from them.
                      Wow that's crazy! The place I go to only charges $10 for a hand wash, and they do a fantastic job. They've got a lot of high end cars that go through there too (Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc) so they take the utmost care of every car that goes through there.
                      2018 Torch Red Corvette

Comment

Ive heard that using hot water in the bucket will remove the wax. Do you all believe this is true. Its kinda hard to put my hands in water that the same temp as the air, so i usually use warm-hot water in the winter months.

Speaking of winter, it was 40 degrees this morning, and I was actually cold...
                        Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                        Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');