• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Do You Detail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Long Do You Detail?

mike I used a 6" cheapy with some 83 on a white ford as practice, one spot, and with some work that spot was free of swirl marks, was wondering if it would be safe to use on a black car, thats why I tried it, don't have a g100 yet looking but want to know which assortment of pads to get, very unknowledgeable about it

Comment

Originally posted by hammer55 View Post
      mike I used a 6" cheapy with some 83 on a white ford as practice, one spot, and with some work that spot was free of swirl marks, was wondering if it would be safe to use on a black car, thats why I tried it, don't have a g100 yet looking but want to know which assortment of pads to get, very unknowledgeable about it
      It's always a good idea to start a fresh thread for questions like this versus posting them to an existing thread that's discussing a different topic.

The answer to your question however is to give it a try and seen how a small test spot looks and then go from there.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

sorry about that

Comment

depends, anywhere from 4-8 depending the steps. Typically on my truck its 8 hours.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I must be doing something wrong. My honda pilot took me 16 hours and my honda accord took 15. How do you guys do it so fast?

When I just wash the car, it can easily take 3 hours to do the tires, wheels, wheel wells, and the car itself. After washing and drying I wipe it down with NXT speed detailer, NXT supreme shine on the tires and NXT Tech protect on the trim. That can easily take me 3 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfofec View Post
              I must be doing something wrong. My honda pilot took me 16 hours and my honda accord took 15. How do you guys do it so fast?

When I just wash the car, it can easily take 3 hours to do the tires, wheels, wheel wells, and the car itself. After washing and drying I wipe it down with NXT speed detailer, NXT supreme shine on the tires and NXT Tech protect on the trim. That can easily take me 3 hours.
              maybe others have more better specific brushes and meguiar products for the tire dressing which makes it quicker to do...
              Yusri Omar
              Perfectshine Detail

Comment

I'm a professional with six years of experience. So, the experience and proper tools/techniques and tricks of the trade help with doing a quick detail. However, because of MOL and my obsession with getting better results I am ONLY doing quality details and the just really depends on the vehicle. I mean, it took Mike 16 hours for that truck, that's just an example of condition/expectation rather than brute force and speed....I guess that's what "detailing" really is.
                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

10+ hours for me. I take the washing part very seriously, so I can be on that for about four to five hours. If I use #80 or #83, I figure in another five hours w/ taping off trim. If the car is under a carport for the night, I will go over the car with NXT the next day. If I don't have that option, I will add one coat of NXT wax that same day.
                  2016 Focus ST

Comment

Usually half a day. Now when I did my black one it was 2 days.
                    Depends on what your goals are.
                    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Average time: 4 to 5 hours for an exterior detail.
                      Complete in and out: 6 to 7 hours.

I did do a detail on a heavily swirled wax in all the cracks and mouldings black F350 Dually that took me two days to complete!

Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
                      Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

I voted for 10+ as I do:
                        My wifes car
                        Rinse, Wash, rewash, dry 1 to 2 hours
                        Clay
                        Paint Cleaner
                        Mask up 1+
                        Speed Glaze by DA Polisher
                        DC polish by hand
                        DC Wetlook by hand
                        DC Carunba wax by hand
                        remove masking tape
                        do trim 2+ by hand
                        APC engine bay and windows
                        then I think about doing the interior the next day.

6 hours +
                        My bike
                        Rinse, wash, dry 1+
                        clay
                        paint cleaner
                        Speed Glaze
                        DC polish
                        DC Wetlook
                        Hand polish all my chrome 3+
                        I do the above once a month and the following every week
                        rinse, wash, rewash
                        DC polish
                        DC carunba wax
                        once a week on both car and bike (along with chrome polishing on the bike).
                        This takes me a full day to do both.

Comment

Last time I detailed me Jeep, it took a good 2days. I was new with the PC so it took me alittle longer than it would now.

-Washed it
                          -Clayed it
                          -DC 1
                          -# 7
                          -Thin coat of NXT
                          -Thin coat of #26

Cleaned my Highland floor guards, used Natural Shine on dash, swept the carpet, used Invisible glass on the windows.

Thats just the main steps, I didnt include all the small stuff.
                          Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Well I voted 10 hours because I assume your refering to doing a car thats has not been maintained.

Wash, Dry, Clay, #83, #80, NXT x2

Trim Detail, tires and wheels, vacuume and wipe down leather, windows etc

-R
                            My Work log for my Magnum R/T Hemi Registry

Comment

My own car takes about 6 hours. (small car)
                              Max. time I needed was about 10 hours on a volvo v70.
                              showroomglaze.net

Comment

The last truck I detailed took more that 20 hours. It was a work-as-you-get-the-time detail. However, the end result was well worth the amount of time I spent on the detail.
                                If it's worth doing; it worth doing right.
                                I Corinthians 10:31 "Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');