• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Do You Detail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Long Do You Detail?

Because of my limitations regarding time, place and climate, I try to pick a day when of course the weather is sunny, followed by several (at least 3) days of dry/sunny weather.

Since I do not have the ability to wash my car where I live, I have to drive 45 minutes to my parents house and try to cram into one day everything I aim to accomplish. In many cases, I have to rely on AIO's to help with the time constraints.

I do not have the luxury of a garage, otherwise, I'd split everything up over a two day period.

Therefore, I spend an average of 5-6 hours each time I detail any of my vehicles.

Comment

I put a 1/2 a day but if I am really getting in and doing the claying and m80 #7 and then gold class. Then the interior, it will take 2-3 days. The funny stares that I get from my neighbors is worth it when they see how good the car comes out.
      Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Usually takes between 8-10 hours for me. I have had a couple that have taken me 14 and 15 hours. Just depends the shape and size of the vehicle.
        Tracy
        765-413-7547
        Autobritedetailing@gmail.com

Comment

About 4 hours for me.Depends on how dirty or condition of the paint

Comment

Anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on manpower, vehicle size and overall condition.....

Also depending on what type of service the vehicle may need.....an example would be a "Concours Detail" which could take anywhere from 10-16 hrs or even more depending on the clients expectations and vehicle's needs.
            David M. Sylican
            Innovative Detailing
            Headlight Lens Restoral
            Detailing Caddy
            Join us on Facebook

Comment

I make molasses look like a Ford GT (LOL. That could be a good c/t). To do a full exterior only (part by DA, part by hand) it takes me about 16-18 hours. I am very picky (maybe too much so) but I just take my time and enjoy.

Comment

Where is the box that says "Until the job is done" - Just wondering......

Comment

Originally posted by agp56 View Post
                  Where is the box that says "Until the job is done" - Just wondering......
                  +1.

I just finished polishing a 2000 Miata for a friend and co-worker. I underestimated the time it would take me to polish the Miata (I figured, little car, no roof, 6 hours tops). 6 hours was on the money - for day 1 last Saturday. The paint was in horrible condition. I spent 2-3 hours alone claying the paint. The next three hours was spent just correcting the hood.

I returned today to finish the job and spent another 7 hours for heavy compounding and polishing the rest of the car. It looks light years better, but the paint was really hammered and will need rotary work to get rid of numerous scratches covering every panel. The owner didn't want to go that route because she's selling it anyway (although she's now reconsidering because her Miata hasn't looked this good in years).

Comment

My TYPICAL detail takes between 5 and 6 hours for Wash, Clay, Single Stage Machine Polish (usually with D151), Wax/Sealant, exterior wipedown and dressing and finish with basic interior vacuum and wipedown.

If I do multiple steps of polishing for serious defect removal or refining the finish it can easily go over 8 hours.
                    Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
                    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
                    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

It depends on whether or not, it's my own vehicle. My own vehicles get constant detailing. Seldom will I do everything at once. So 1-3 hours on my personal vehicles.

On customers/friends vehicles, I spend all day. I tell them, I need all day. I charge them $200 and get done what I can in a day (8-10 hours with breaks). I actually ask them to bring it to me as clean as possible, because there is only so much I can do in a day. Why waste their money doing things that they could do on their own.

I realize my methods are unusual, but it makes sense to my friends.

Comment

Shawn

What price do you charge for a 5 to 6 hour detail?

What price do you charge for an 8 hour detail?

Thank you

Bud Abraham

Comment

A 5-6 hour detail is usually in the range of 135-175 depending on the size of the vehicle and like I said, it includes wash (including wheels, wheel wells, door jambs and tires), clay (paint, headlights and windhsield), single stage machine polish with D151 which can take out about 50%-70% of the swirls and leaves it's own sealant, an optional LSP if the customer wants to top the 151 sealant with a carnauba for $15 extra, and then a final wipedown with either a spray sealant or detail spray while also dressing the tires, wheel wells and trim.

It also includes a basic interior detail with vacuum and interior wipedown/dressing.

For my multiple step polishings which start with a compound and then are followed with a finishing polish pricing starts at $195 and includes everything I listed above plus an additional machine polishing step as well as a glaze applied before the sealant/wax. $195 would be for a small vehicle though and pricing goes up to 300+ for and SUV/Large Truck. I would say most cars fall into the 220-240 range.

Comment

Shawn for the benefit of others on the forum I am going to share our private emails about pricing.

As mentioned to Shawn if you divide the hours he sites to do a detail and the prices he charges his hourly rates are from $22 an hour to about $39 an hour.

For a legitimate business paying all the appropriate fees, etc and making a good wage plus benefits he would get at a job: paid vacation & sick leave; health care benefits; retirement those hourly rates are too low in my experience.

First and foremost the market does not dictate your prices your costs of operation dictate your price and if your prices are too high then you have to lower your operational costs.

Do you all think that making $195 for 8 hours work gross is a fair wage for the day? That is not net that he puts in his pocket that is before materials, costs of operation, etc.

Jsut some thoughts to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by buda View Post
                              Do you all think that making $195 for 8 hours work gross is a fair wage for the day? That is not net that he puts in his pocket that is before materials, costs of operation, etc.

Jsut some thoughts to consider.
                              Absolutely not. It's a horrible wage if you factor in expenses. Sad thing is that's twice as much as some guys are charging.

Working at McDonalds with full benefits and no expenses would equate to more. The bank would even be quicker to give you a loan.

Comment

I agree that $195 for 8 hours of work is too little...it's a good thing I've literally never made that amount for that much work, ha ha.

Buda has taken average starting prices/times and assumed that my lowest starting price is what is attached to my lowest quoted average amount of time spent and that simply isn't the case. He also fails to realize that a starting price does not include the added things that decent detailers upsell during their details which take almost literally the same amount of time to complete.

When I do machine polishing work I generally charge with the intent of completing the work making in the range of ~$30 an hour. Some cars go quicker than others and some go slower.

Markets also differ GREATLY from one area to another. Living expenses in Houston, Tx are some of the lowest in the country. The money made here can easily be equated to making twice as much in other areas of the country. Just for a few quick comparisons... my charging around 30 dollars an hour would equate to about 70 in San Francisco, 55 in New York, 53 in boston, 37 in Chicago, 50 in LA, ....you get the picture by now, ha ha.

My suggestion for everyone detailing for profit is to do the necessary market research for the area and price according to what you want to make to be comfortable. This can vary greatly due to your personal expenses into the detailing game (my expenses are almost non-existant other than product, which I buy in bulk from a manufacturer rather than a retailer for the most part and always buy concentrated formulas when possible).

Do not go online to compare pricing with others on online communities because at best that's just a shot in the dark at what you should be charging.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');