• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 inch backing plate is great !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 inch backing plate is great !

Just some observations regarding the use of the PC 7424 . . .

I recently read David Bynon's tutorial (Autopia) on the use of the PC 7424 and in it he mentioned that he found the 5 inch flexible backing plate to be the best at giving a nice balance to the machine.

So I ordered one along with 6 inch pads from CMA and I must say David is absolutely right - this backing plate is just right for the 7424. I had used the 6 inch backing plate that came with the PC that I purchased from Coastal Tool. It was ok, but now has been replaced by the new 5 incher.

I realize that some might want a larger pad for expediency but when I use the PC I'm content to just groove along till done. The 6 inch pads are a perfect combo with the 5 inch plate.

Another plus is when I change to the 4 inch pads (and of course the 4 inch plate) for tackling scrathes I don't have to change the counter weight. Both use the standard 5 inch weight.

Again, these are my observations. I'm sure others get equally good results using different plate/pad combos.
    "Happy Trails to you !"

Hi LusterMeister,

Thank you for posting your experience and observations.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Does the Meguiars come with 6 in. or 5 in backing weight?

Comment

Hi LusterMeister,

I haven't seen you since ShowCarGarage days.
        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by froggy47
          Does the Meguiar's come with 6 in. or 5 in backing weight?
          Hi froggy47,

Do you mean,

Does the Meguiar's G100 Dual Action Polisher come with a counter weight for a 6 inch backing plate, or 5 inch backing plate?

If this is the question, the counter weight is for a 5 inch backing plate.

If your question is...

What is the diameter of the Meguiar's backing plate for the dual action polisher, 5 inches or 6 inches?

Then the answer is 5 inches in diameter...

(I wasn't sure what the question was?)
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Looks like Meguiars has changed their backing plate design. Mine has a plastic boss in the middle, with a little metal around the shaft.

It has done an excellent job of holding onto the pad though.
            Last edited by rusty bumper; Jul 20, 2005, 05:31 PM.
            r. b.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I was mainly wondering about the weight, and your answer expanded on that

Do you sell a pkg that has the backing plate & some pads

or

do you sell the backing plate separate ( as I know you have the pad pkg)

Comment

Originally posted by froggy47
                do you sell the backing plate separate ( as I know you have the pad pkg)
                Yes, here's the link...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');