• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky Travel Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Travel Trailer

Hello, newbe here! I'm have concerns with my Travel Trailer. It is a 2004 Aluminum sided Fleetwood Wilderness 30 ft model. Trying to keep clean as I can, I have tried all kinds of cleaners to remove black streaks, ect. Now it seams the sides are sticky and a dirty film has stuck to the sides. Any idea's on how to remove this film? Thanks

Re: Sticky Travel Trailer

Because it is aluminum sided, you could probably use a wheel cleaning spray formulated for aluminum. That would be my guess!

Comment

Sounds like you're working on coated aluminum, that is there is some time of clear paint or other type of film on the aluminum to keep it from oxidizing?

Probably the best thing to do would be to contact the manufacture and ask them if the aluminum is coated and if there are any special precautions you should take when choosing product to maintain the trailer.

After you find out whether the aluminum is coated or not could you please post this back to the thread you've started so that others can learn from it in the future?

Thanks,
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm not sure we understand each other. The travel trailer is painted when it is built. So yes the aluminum is coated, with paint and decals. There is a black sticky residue on the sides of the trailer from (I'm guessing here) another cleaner I used? I'm looking to find something safe to use to clean up the painted aluminum, and keep it protected (like a wax?) Will also try to contact manufacturer. Spoke to the travel trailer dealer, with no help. Thanks for the suggestion.
        Big Red F-150

Comment

Hey,

Your Fleetwood will have a EPDM Rubber Roof. As such, it will degrade over time allowing this oxidation to run off onto the sides. Some will leave black streaks while others may leave a sticky residue. Also, some of the Butyl seals can also leave a sticky mess.

I would suggest using Meguiar's ColorX. This will clean the paint coated aluminum. Then I like to use Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant.

Cheers!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red F-150 View Post
            Hello, newbie here! I'm have concerns with my Travel Trailer. It is a 2004 Aluminum sided Fleetwood Wilderness 30 ft model.
            I guess I misread this to mean the the trailer was shiny aluminum, my mistake. Try like 2hotford suggested, use our ColorX cleaner/wax, apply liberally and a work in, the chemical cleaners should loosen and remove whatever the residue is and leave a coating of wax behind.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks, sounds like your ideas will work. Maybe I need to seal the roof with something also (maybe 303 protectant?). Sounds like this weekend is full, 30ft of trailer....

Big Red F-150

Comment

We do allot of TTs and RVs and I don't think I have come across a factory painted aluminum one.

Coated alum. is very much like powder coating. If you use too "hot" of a product on it such as a very strong degreaser, you will soften the coating and it will seem like it is sticky.

Also the coating is porous. Keep the roof clean and wash the TT often. If you do get streaks use a cleaner wax and not a degreaser or black streak remover to clean it with.

It has been my experience that those types of cleaners deteriorate the coat further and makes it easier for the black streaks to stain again.
                Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

OK, the TT has a color on it. Paint, power coating or whatever. Maybe the cleaners I have been using may have been to "hot", eating the finish away? Just trying to get it clean, waxed and protected. Will the suggestions 2hotford made work? or are there other ideas out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red F-150 View Post
                    Thanks, sounds like your ideas will work. Maybe I need to seal the roof with something also (maybe 303 protectant?). Sounds like this weekend is full, 30ft of trailer....

Big Red F-150

NO!!!! Do not use 303 on the EPDM roof! Rubber roofs require special products that will not eat or deteriorate the material thereby creating leaks. I am not saying the 303 will hurt it. But as far as I know, it was not designed for it. I would use Protect All's rubber roof cleaner and their sealer as it was designed for rubber roofs.

Joe,

The coating on most aluminum is a special material used for its ability to bond to the aluminum and not peel off over time. On my own travel trailer, the paint acts very similar to automotive style paints. But I have also seen what you are talking about. When I read that the poster used Simple Green, it could be exactly like you say in that the material has been softened. In that case, I am not sure how to proceed with the clean-up.

I would re-contact Fleetwood and ask to talk with someone regarding the material on the aluminum and find out of indeed it has been softened by the Simple Green.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

The travel trailer is painted when it is built.
                      Things To Do In Salt Lake City

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');