• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing product on PC pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing product on PC pads

Hello all,

I’m a total novice at polishing and everything associated with it so please bare with me.
    I just got a Porter Cable for my B-Day (My girlfriend rocks)
    I ordered the hook & Loop pad kit from Meguiar’s. I know you’re not supposed to mix types of product on the same pad. My question is can you change type/brand (in the same category…wax, polish, cleaner etc.) of product once the pad has been dried and cleaned or do you have to stick with the same exact product you used originally. I like to experiment but I’d rather not spend $10 each time I do.

Thanks
    2k GTi VR6...Mostly Stock

You are right you are not suppose to mix any of the products... So this is what I do is soak my PC pads in some soapy water, I use dawn dish soap, for 10 min or so then rinse them very well making sure I get all the old products out. I then let them air dry for a few days then place them back in their unsealed plastic bags. I have done this 6-7 times now with the same pads and they look like new and I have used different products with the pads with no problems. I always have an extra set on hand though just incase on gets damaged.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping the pads could be washed. I wasn't sure because Meguiar's advises not to. I can't really see why unless it may loosen the backing. Since you've been able to do it several times with no damage I'm very happy. I want to try different products with the PC to see what combinations work best.
      2k GTi VR6...Mostly Stock

Comment

While I know the official answer from meguiars is to not wash the pads, I do, BUT....

I have found that if you soak them in the water and detergent it will in fact eat away at the adhesive holding the backing material.

I have had the best results with spraying a solution of APC 32/1 into the pad IMMEDIATELY after I finish. I then rinse it under warm water, blot with a MF, and store on a clean towel to dry. I use to spin dry them, but stopped.

I have some pads that have lasted over a year and many uses with this method. When I was soaking them, I had one come apart after only one use. Just my .02.

Comment

Meguiar's does not recommend washing the pads. Instead, use a dedicated pad for each chemical and clean your pads while they're dry before use.

That said, I know many people do wash their pads because they don't have cases of pads laying around the garage. In the last year, Meguiar's switched to a new, stronger adhesive that is better able to resist breaking down.

Definitely, do not wash your pads in a washing machine.

Hope this helps...

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');