• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use to remove this gunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to remove this gunk?

Don't know what the heck my wife ran over in the mini-van but TW bug & tar remover didn't even phase it. It almost looks like a splash of cola that has dried as hard as sap. Its quite hard, I can't even pick it off with my nails.

Haven't tried yet but I might dab some adhesive remover on it to see what it does. Any thoughts on what to use to remove it?

Re: What to use to remove this gunk?

Try some hot water. Maybe you will get lucky and that will soften it up.
    -Bob
    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

If hot water doesn't work, I would try some Castrol Degreaser. That stuff is strong when not diluted. You can buy pretty much anywhere and it's my main cleaner for outside the vehicle. I would suggest you re wax that area if you do use the Degreaser. I also suggest not to let it sit their a really long time, it may damage the clear. I usually spray it on the spot I'm working on and them work it in with a bug scrubber with car soap and water mix. I haven't had any problems with that combination.
      2016 Focus ST

Comment

I think red vette has it right, HOT water will remove it if it is sugar based. It does look like soda, hot water will breakdown the sugar crystals. Good luck!!!

Comment

or wd 40 if all else fails

Comment

3M Adhesive Remover then wax
            Whats my color? Color X

Comment

How about some clay? I've used detailing clay to get egg off of my car and it should take the cola like substance. I think (and hope) the clay will work for you. Let us know.
              "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

As some have said, try (warm) water. If it is soda, and water-soluble, the solvent-based solutions suggested won't work. This reminds me of a lesson learned long ago when a workmate and I were cleaning up, and we were scrubbing a coffee stain on a work bench with a very powerful degreasing solvent. The stain wouldn't budge. A quick wipe with water took it right off.

Comment

Body Solvent will take care of it
                  http://iceburgh66.tripod.com/sig6.jpg

Comment

Well when I heard the suggestion of using hot water I knew that was going to do a darn thing but I wanted to try it anyway and to no avail, it didn't work.

Took my little can of Goo-Off and dabbed a spot for a few seconds, rubbed and dabbed some more. Didn't work.

I wonder if using a heat gun will soften it up? I'm telling you this stuff is pretty hard. I just don't know how long to keep the gun on the paint...

Comment

try this on it.

Comment

If the formula is anything close to the TW bug and tar remover, it won't do a thing. I tried already.

Comment

Ok just to change the subject a little....my wife wants to know what type of mini van it is, so we can look up the manufactorers website to get the specs...

Thanks
                          Trev

Comment

Some idiot stuck a marshmallow on my truck and left me with a nice sugary streak after it had melted it`s way down the side of my black truck. A week of wiping with hot water and it`s almost gone. So you may not get it off all at once. The upper part of the streak is completely gone and the bottom part is still there but I`ve managed to get a lot of it off. I also used a metal scraper to remove some of the globs. As long as you don`t hold it at an angle all it will do is push the worst of it off. If the crud is very hard and globby you might be able to use sandpaper to get it down to where the chemicals or water will saturate it more and make it easier to get it off. Just some ideas. Maybe use an emery board so it`s easier to control around your paint?
                            1986 4Runner 4wd
                            almost 200k miles
                            the legacy lives on

Comment

Originally posted by MotorcycleDetailing View Post
                              Ok just to change the subject a little....my wife wants to know what type of mini van it is, so we can look up the manufactorers website to get the specs...

Thanks
                              Trev
                              Its a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE

View the official page for Dodge Grand Caravan resources. Find information, parts, accessories, owner resources & answers to commonly asked questions today.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');