• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie ? about #80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie ? about #80

I'd like to say hello and WOW! Alot of cool info here. I'm new to this whole detailing thing ever since I picked up my car. I'm so afraid of screwing things up (BLACK paint) that it's hard for me to decide on an approach. My car had a repaint done in May by the previous owner and now it's my turn to take car of it. First off, I don't own any machines and do everything by hand. I'd like to treat the car with a #80 rub down. Can this be applied effectively by hand or is a machine application the only way to go? If the machine is required, Is there a good substitute to #80 that can be applied by hand with close to the same results. The Paint is in fairly good condition other than a few micro scratches which appear to be from dirty or improperly used towels. I have a car show to attend on Sunday with the local Mustang club and would like it to look it's best. My plan was to:
    Wash
    polish/#80
    wax?? Unsure what to use on Black but was thinking #21
    Any advise on black paint care for the newbie would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Re: Newbie ? about #80

#80 is best by machine.

If you are going to be working by hand for now, it is best to get products designed for use by hand. Caring for any color paint is exactly the same, black just shows your mistakes easier. Here are two routines you can use:

1. Wash - Gold Class Soap, or Nxt soap, 2-bucket method, good quality sponges/towels. And get a Grit Guard for yourself if possible.

2. Clay

3. Clean - DC#1 in general, ScractchX on swirls, fine scratches.

4. Polish - Deep Crystal #2 is very easy to use, but #7 will give you the best looks.

5. Wax - #21 is a great wax, esp if you can get it locally. I've had to order mine. Remember 2 coats is best.

OR:

1. Wash - as above

2. Clay as needed

3. ColorX

4. Wax - #21

Hope that gives you some ideas.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I haven't went out shopping yet so i'm unsure wether I'll find #21 or not. It was was just planted in my head as a possibility. Are most of the professional products attended to be used with a machine and consumer products used for hand applications? That'll help with knowing which product I should be shopping for. If #21 isn't available, what other off the products are recommended for deep long lasting shine? Gold Class is what I normally use but is there something that will stand above it?

Comment

Originally posted by 89vert View Post
        If #21 isn't available, what other off the products are recommended for deep long lasting shine?
        nxt works great as well!

Comment

If you already have Gold Class, I'd stick with it until you order some #21. #26 and Nxt work great as well, but I think #21 is the best mix of looks and durability.

In the professional line, the cleaners and cleaner/polishes are best used by machine. The pure polishes (#5, #7, #81) and waxes can be used by hand. Some people use the #9 Swirl Remover by hand, but this is pretty mild, so the abrasives probably break down pretty easy by hand.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. From what i've read hear so far (still reading) is that nxt gives a good shine but doesn't last as long as the others. Any truth to that? Will these products (nxt & #26) out shine the Gold Class and how do they hold up compaired to Gold Class?

Comment

From my expereince, Nxt seem to protect fine, but it loses its glossines and slickness a bit. Just have to use a Spray Wax or Detailer to give it a boost after washes.

#26 might be a little more durable that Gold Class, not sure. All the waxes look good really.

Comment

Originally posted by 89vert View Post
                Thanks for the replies. From what i've read hear so far (still reading) is that nxt gives a good shine but doesn't last as long as the others. Any truth to that? Will these products (nxt & #26) out shine the Gold Class and how do they hold up compaired to Gold Class?
                Most of the shine comes from the prep work done before waxing, not from the wax itself. While it can be fun comparing waxes, IMO you will get the best result focusing on the cleaning/polishing part of the detail. I'd go with the first process suggested by Murr - use ScratchX on fine scratches, and DC1 on the whole car. Remember to work both in very well. Then a pure polish of your choice, and seal in your hard work with the wax you would most like to try

I really think you need to try the different waxes on your car, to find the one you like the best...
                "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
                - Back To The Future

Comment

Went shopping and here is what I'm going to treat the car to this time:
                  DC#1 & scratchX where needed, #7, and top it off with #26. I'll let you all know how it turned out on Monday. Thanks again.

Comment

Be sure to give these a good read... ScratchX works well, but you really have to work it into the paint, not just rub it on.

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Oh, and no clay . Its actualy not a big deal, but it will help get your results to another level.

Comment

Yea, scratch-x removed alot of scratches from my jeep after off roading. I had to work it in ALONG time though.
                      Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                      Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        Oh, and no clay . Its actualy not a big deal, but it will help get your results to another level.
                        No clay this time. It's in pretty good shape, very smooth surface. I'm just going to try and clean it up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');