• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather Seat Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Seat Care

Hi all:

When it comes to taking care of leather seats I am a novice.

Apparently the leather used in most seats is now convered with a layer of plastic. It would appear that my seats are made of this type of leather.

I purchased the Gold Glass Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner and Gold Glass Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner. My first try with this product was not really that successful. The conditioner made my seats a lot darker and left a film that I could not rub off. This film slowly wore off with use leaving the seats with a two tone look (dark and light areas). May have used too much not sure.

What is the correct product to use on this type of leather seat?

Would the Leather Cleaner and Conditioner from the Detailer Line be a better product to use?

Regards,

KTruck
    Make it Shine

Re: Leather Seat Care

Ive had really good luck with the GC leather care. Ive never tried the two step b/c it cost to much.. I would like to give it a try someday though..
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

I have recently bought my first car with leather seats. At first I used the Meg's leather wipes. However they left a scent that I was not particularly fond of. I have since used Armor All Leather wipes. They work great, don't leave a smell, don't leave a film, and don't leave a shine. They just protect and condition and enrich the look.

I use Meg's on all the outside of my car, but Armor All on the inside. Give them a try. It's only 4 buck for a cannister of them.

Comment

I haven't used the GC leather cleaner, but have used the conditioner on my sister's 06 Jetta, my dad's 06 Mercedes GL450, and my mom's 05 Mercedes SL500 and I have not experienced the problems you speak of.

Comment

I have fairly new '05 Mercedes E500 wagon with a black interior. My probelm is that the dye on the console and seats comes off onto my pants which are light in color. Neither the dealer or the Mercedes zone representive have any solution except some leather treatment that has not solved the problem. They need to be sealed but what would work to eliminate thid problem?

Comment

I really like the Leather Wipes. You can go high gloss or more subdued and it seems to last well. One wipe does all my Corvette's leather, which is black, and the gloss comes out just the way I like it--nice shine without looking like vinyl. It dries fairly quickly, too. And a nice scent--at least I think so. I still have the new car smell in my 4 month old Vette--fiberglass outgassing keeps it smelling like new for a long time, which is not a bad thing, imo.

Comment

The leather seats in my 91 Saab convertible are dry and hard. No stress cracks yet, but I know they're coming. I've been applying leather conditioner products in an attempt to restore suppleness, but the difference is slight and slow. Is there any product or technique to get this leather soft again? I've considered neatsfoot oil, but fear it will darken the leather too much and make it oily.

Comment

I've always heard mink oil will help in your case. Certainly won't hurt. Good luck!

Comment

Go Look Up Leather Restoration if your leather seats are Hard. There are products that address that specific Hard Dry Issue. hes in SC
                  Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');