• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible alternative to the G100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible alternative to the G100?

Alright, so a few of you already know that getting a G100 down under isn't the easiest of tasks. I've been looking for an alternative for a few months now, and while I had my eye on a Hitachi Dual-action unit, I think I've found something a bit better.

Its a Ryobi ERO750VK. While not a DA, it is a bit cheaper and its stats say it carries 750W. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is higher than the 400W the G100 produces. While I wouldn't normally use power alone to judge a products ability, it does seem to me that the extra power might make up for the lack of dual-action.

Has anyone tried this model? The price is right since I don't plan on going into business (otherwise I'd just get a transformer and a G100, or a Makita), but I don't want to spend $100 on something that won't cut it on my reasonably hard suby paint.

The model they're selling comes with a velcro plate, but I didn't get a good look to measure it, or I'd already have bought some Meguiars pads.
    Gil A. Castillo

Re: Possible alternative to the G100?

I think the "No Load Speed" of 4000-7000rpm is very excessive unless it is a typo and is actually OPM. Also the orbit of 3.5mm is a bit short of the 5mm recommended for defect removal although it might be ok. I find the Subaru paint soft actually (Black Liberty).
    Protecting my "ride"

www.carwasher.com.au

Comment

Hey Chris,

Didn't realise you were on these forums as well! Maybe its just the other cars I've worked with, but the red paint on mine takes a fair amount of effort to work marks off. Could be just the different colours too.

Which machine do you use with your work? It'd be good to finally get rid of these dealer swirls and have that show car look.
      Gil A. Castillo

Comment

I actually use a GMC NLEROS available from Big W for $40. The best way to get started IMO. I am looking at getting a Bosch PEX400 to use and keep the GMC as a backup. Hasn't failed me the time I have had it (over a year now and more than enough uses). Only need to tape the outer edge as it is very sharp and eats through the pads.

What are you using to remover the defects ?
        Protecting my "ride"

www.carwasher.com.au

Comment

At the moment Scratch X, from this thread.

I had all the doors done, and then did a stupid and used a dirty rubber blade. It wouldn't have done any damage if I'd taken two seconds to wipe it with a damp cloth. Now I'm back to square 1.
          Gil A. Castillo

Comment

ScratchX does great wonders.

Tell me about it. After spending time the other weekend getting all the swirls out, I used my washmitt without first giving it a really good clean after doing the Outback and it looks like I've put some light marks on some of the panels, and I have another 2 washmitts I could have used
            Protecting my "ride"

www.carwasher.com.au

Comment

Since it kept coming back as an alternative, I got the PEX-400:

Strange. It was my first choice. I looked around for dual-actions and found some. But someone would always mention this specific Bosch. If its even half as good as the G100 seems to be, I'll be happy.
              Gil A. Castillo

Comment

Although I haven't got a polishing machine myself, it would be best to change the velcro pad by a Meguiars backing plate. This should allow you to use standard pads and prevent having to tape the edges
                Nothing beats a lion

Comment

I'll give it a look. The store I checked out only had 8" pads and no backing plates, but I'll test this first with the edges taped until I can get my hands on one.
                  Gil A. Castillo

Comment

If you guys are in Australia you can order the plates from repco or Autobarn. You just need to supply them with meguiars parts number and the order it in. Or you can go to the meguirs.com.au to find out what products are available and find the parts number.

Autobarn in the cheapest unless you have a detailing business then Repco is a lot cheaper.

For example
                    W8006 6 1/2" Polishing Pad $25+P&H from megiurs
                    $30 from Autobarn
                    $45 from repco (recomended retail)
                    $20 from repco (business discount)
                    Autobarn and repco is including delivery to store.

I can't seem to to find Meguiars Australias 6 1/2" backing plates but I got a non meguiars one from Mitre 10.

Hope this helps a little.
                    Trev

Comment

Repco and Auto One had the pads I bought, but they were fresh out of plates. I'll go back and check in a few weeks.

I'll check Autobarn out when I get the chance.
                      Gil A. Castillo

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');