• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!!

Two weeks ago, I drove my family to and from Disney (I live in Illinois). Like you, I had the bug problem. Thankfully, I had put two coats of NXT on just before we left. Even leaving the lovebug guts on the paint for the week, they came off pretty easily, leaving no marring with just soaking and wiping. Maybe I was just lucky. Those bugs are annoying and nasty!

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lightning View Post
      I read somewhere just to take a big towel or a bunch of smaller terry cloth towels and to soak them in car-wash solution and just lay them across the windshield and bug splattered painted areas. Let them sit for a good 1/2 hour. The dry bug bits will re-hydrate and come right off. Sounds alot safer than scrubbing. I would think some bug bits would scratch paint.
      Hmm... where did could you have read this? Check out the second page of this thread...

Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      This tip was given to me by a forum member who attended one of our Saturday Detailing classes, I can't remember his name but I think he's a friend of Buellwinkle?

If you have dried on bug splatter, typically on the front of your car where they impact, and you want to loosen and remove the splatter without having to scrub the area with force as so not to instill any scratches into your finish, what you need to do is to soften or re-liquefy the dried bug guts.

Here is the sugggestion...

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

Another variation of this would be to apply some Meguiar's Bug and Tar Remover to the wet wash rag before applying it to the dried bug splatter.

After a few minutes have passed give the area a gentle wipe-off and the bug splatter should remove easily. Then either wash the car as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

Allow the wet towel to sit for a short period of time and then remove the towel and wash as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Hmm... where did could you have read this? Check out the second page of this thread...

Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

Ha! I KNEW I had to have read it here. Though I haven't tried it, I thought what a logical, safe for the paint idea. And cheap too!!!!
        Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

The easiest method is to get the bugs off as soon as possible with a good quick detailer like NXT Speed Detailer or Last Touch. If I drove in love bug country I would carry a bottle in my car along with some Supreme Shine Microfiber towels!

The longer you let them sit the harder they are to remove! Detailing clay has worked very well for me for stubborn bug remains, with no scratches.

Best way to prevent bugs from sticking IMHO is to use #21 on the front bumper/grille area and maintain it with Last Touch quick detailer, either in the spray foam or liquid.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

you can also try the mr clean erase pads, thats what i use they will take the bugs off and any scruffs or abrasions not down to the primer

Comment

Ipersonally have'nt tried the fabric softener to remove bugs. However, I passed this tip on to a friend of mine, he tried it and it worked great. Iwatched him do it and it was 1,2,3 there gone.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Newport Viper View Post
                easy fix.

wet dryer sheets any brand.

come back here and rave about it......

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/show...rue#Post523278

I tried this today and yes I am raving about it. You get a nice little lather from the sheets and it takes them bugs right off! Now I am wondering about all the other uses.
                "Washing for the People"

Comment

Dryer sheets - I never would have thought of it. In the past, I've always used a pressure washer.

Comment

I live in Florida too and the bugs that I hate the most are the lovebugs. When those things come out and if you have a decent ride, you don't want to be driving then unless you're ready to wash and wax everytime you come home. I've used all kinds of stuff, but I did find something that works, www.lovebugwipes.com. Used it for the lovebugs, but it works great for all bugs in getting them off the front and keeping them from sticking next time. Not trying to diss Meguiar's but you gotta use what works.

Comment

A little late, but I have also had luck with the soaking method. I always do this at dusk so the sun does not dry the towel.

You Florida folks think you have it bad? Try summertime in Michigan's Upper Peninsula!
                      -James
                      2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

I recently tried the dryer sheet and it really works great. I was impressed.

Comment

It is a neat little trick. I used it on my sister-in-laws car. Presto they were gone. She was completely stunned by that trick.

Comment

I know a lot of you are raving about the dryer sheet method but isn't that a little rough for the surface of the car? I mean I know you're getting the sheets wet before you rub the surface but still it "feels" kind of rough to be rubbing it against the painted surface. Just a thought...

Comment

Tried the dryer sheet method after a round trip from San Diego to San Francisco through the CA Central Valley. They worked very well.

Comment

Well you still have to wash the affected area, and re wax it. I have not seen any long term damage.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');