• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever used a product not intended for car care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever used a product not intended for car care?

Ok, as much as I cringe when people talk about using dish soap on thier paint, I went and used a non-automotive item on a vehicle. We just bought a 92 bronco as a second daily, and the former owner apparently didn't believe in cleaning the truck. He owned it a good 4 years and I seriously doubt it had ever been cleaned-inside or out. While there was not actual trash inside it, it was filthy (I am hoping the mice that left evidence of their existance are gone). I tried cleaning the door panels and other interior plastic with interior qd. Not touching this mess. I gave up and used 409. I'm not completely sure what exactly was all over the inside of the truck, nor do I want to, but that finally cut through it. It took a few towels (that I tossed rather than washing-they were DISGUSTING), but it's much better now. I also spent a good 4 hours on the front carpeting (My little green was literally sucking mud out of it in some spots). The truck smells much better now-good thing we got it cheap! So I'm wondering if anyone else has given up on conventional items and just went with whatever worked (I did treat everything with dash & trim foam afterwords of course, since I'm sure that was rather drying to the plastic).

Re: Have you ever used a product not intended for car care?

I have recently used Rejex which was desinged for industrail use as well as simple green, bleach, woolite, dawn, oil soap, and probably a host of other things as well,
    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

I most certainly have,especially some marine products I have in stock for boat detailing.
      Death Before Dishonor

Comment

Sometimes the more difficult details require an unconventional approach.
        I did a car that had years of bugs attached to the front fascia. I soaked
        the front of the vehicle with a citrus spray cleaner and let it soak in
        for about ten minutes. I was surprised that it worked as well as it did.
        Of course I waxed the front as I'm sure the cleaner removed any that
        was on there, probably none from the condition of the car. Another
        product I rely on for tough jobs is Spray Nine cleaner. It eats grease
        and oil and is also a disinfectant. It can be diluted as needed. I use it
        on interiors mostly, you know, the jobs that are so disgusting you feel
        like you should have your shots before you head into combat. I don't know
        how people can let there cars interiors get so dirty.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');