• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never wet sanded before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never wet sanded before

My car got keyed last year.I touched up the paint already.There is a little more touch up paint on the car then I want.My question is how do I wet sand?And doesn't sanding the paint hurt the finish of the car?

Re: Never wet sanded before

Wet sanding does not hurt the paint finish, but it do is the most aggressive method to remove defects. so it will hurt the finish if your skills are not well-trained yet. however, ir you're confidnent, and you've never don it before, go ahead. I started like that. Just a few tips to do this:

* do it with a 2500 to 3000(recommended) grit sanding paper. Meguiars has these available

** buy a foam sanding backing pad (Megs or 3M, whichever you can get)

** soak the papers at least 15 minutes before starting on water with some car wash shampoo added.

** put the sandpaper in the backing pad. be sure the sanding paper surface you'll use Doesn't fold or you could instill deeper scratches :P

** work in straight line motions. do 7 to 10 passes and check your work. also be sure to use light to meduim pressure to keep yourself in the safe way.

and after working, be sure you're familiar with the use of a rotary and a compound.

I could tell you to use a 2000 grit paper or higher (1500,1200,1000), but it's better do do this slowly but safer, than faster and with more risk.

Hope this helps
    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');