• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How mobile is mobile detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How mobile is mobile detailing?

For the mobile detailers, do you take your own water with you? Do you use the customer's water? How's that work? I'm getting into the weekend detailer thing at my house for neighbors and stuff, but if I want to keep my weekends booked I think I need to go mobile, so any advice on going mobile?

Thanks in advance.

Re: How mobile is mobile detailing?

At the moment I use customers water as here in Australia we don't have much in the way of water restrictions for collecting waste water (Queensland any way) but I would like to build a trailer that has a water storage and a collection container as well. That way I can take it to shows and detail on the spot.

So far I have a gurney (for trail bikes with a lot of mud), Compressor (to help dry small/hard to reach places) and a generator to run them all allong with my DA polisher.

Comment

First thing first, are you licensed and insured? Are you formally trained or just a weekend warrior? If you take water with you do you know that it is illegal to let it run down the street? Do you have waste water reclaim equipment?
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
        First thing first, are you licensed
        There is an auto detailer license? Is that a state thing? Where do I have to go to get one? Or do you mean business license?
        You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

First thing first, are you licensed and insured? Are you formally trained or just a weekend warrior? If you take water with you do you know that it is illegal to let it run down the street? Do you have waste water reclaim equipment?
          Where could one become formally trained in detailing?

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusZTS View Post
            There is an auto detailer license? Is that a state thing? Where do I have to go to get one? Or do you mean business license?
            I hope this isnt a joke. Just in case it isnt I will answer. Yes Business license.
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by kpagel View Post
              Where could one become formally trained in detailing?
              A number of companies and organizations offer formal training.

Do a search online and you will find them.

Comment

To be exact (here in Belgium) you also have to be a registered company before you're allowed to do any work (otherwise it's illegal).

You can get official training on detailing (again, speaking for Belgium only) but only at a very select locations. While it's not obligated to proof you know your business, I can recommend it to everyone wanting to start one.

It's always nice to show them you've taken the time and have the skill (by showing your certificate) to learn the craft.

As for being mobile - we don't have any restrictions on water consumption (except that you pay for what you use). Whenever I detail someone's car at my location, I drive them to the nearest no-touch carwash where I use my Meguiars shampoo etc. to clean the dirt of the car (as most carwashes have regulations on water waste.

Whenever I'm on location, I'm lucky that I can borrow the truck of my neighbor and I bring a large water tank with me as you're not always sure if water is available, and even if it is, it's not that nice to work on the water / electricity costs of the car owner.
                showroomglaze.net

Comment

I'm in the research phase at this moment. I've got my g100 and have gone to the Meguiar's class but am what I'd consider a good weekend warrior. Better results than a lot of the detailing companies I've seen. To go beyond friends and neighbors I'd be making that "pro" step. The business license and insurance are no problem, I've looked into that already. But, as you mention when you become licensed if you need to do water reclaimation or I need buy a water tank, trailer and other stuff, it's not worth it to me. I'll just stick to what I'm doing.

Comment

That's often the best idea if you don't plan to become a "detail center".

I started out just the same - got myself something in the line of a machine polisher and started doing the cars at home. Soon people started to ask questions (as you don't see that many people work a sanding machine on a car) and soon after I had my first "clients".

Now I've got a base of about 10 people which ask me every other month to do their car - which is nice on the side but I somewhat feel "guilty" to those who've invested lots of money to get a business.

So I'm looking into getting a registered name, licensed to use Meguiars (and advert. as such), ... but if it's just you and a few friends and friends of those friends, I wouldn't be bothered.
                    showroomglaze.net

Comment

In order to be truly mobile, you're should be fully self-contained. That is, you bring your own water, your own pressure washer, your own electricity (generator), etc. IMO, it seems unprofessional to show up and ask to use a customer's water, although I know plenty of people do it. Sure, if you're doing a friend's car, or a friend of a friend its fine, but when people call you because they saw you on the street or received your card from somewhere, I think they expect you to be fully prepared. You also do need water reclamation, as laws are getting much stricter (at least here in California).

Comment

I hope this isnt a joke. Just in case it isnt I will answer. Yes Business license.
                        My question did seem a little tounge in cheek. But I have a bud who is an exterminator and needs an state exterminator license. Your post made it sound like there was an equivalent.
                        You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusZTS View Post
                          My question did seem a little tounge in cheek. But I have a bud who is an exterminator and needs an state exterminator license. Your post made it sound like there was an equivalent.
                          That's because your friend needs to be qualified to use such products as they're harmful to the environment if used incorrectly.

While brake dust and dirt buildup on a car isn't really healthy either, it's not as dangerous and for such you don't need "proof" of your qualification (to use those products).
                          showroomglaze.net

Comment

Not to take away from Meguiars products, but you could always use Optimum No Rinse instead of worrying about the water problem. You could just get 2 3 gallon buckets with lids and fill one with the ONR and one with water before you leave for the detail. Then you wouldn't have to worry about water hookup, etc. You could also get a DC converter for your car to provide you the electricity. I'm not a a pro detailer, but if I was brave enough, I'd quit my job and go full time. I would want to properly know how to use a rotary before going pro though, just incase you come accross something too tough for the PC.

Comment

I live in australia and i'm in the prosess of starting a mobile business and dont have a local meguiars dealer, how do i go about knowing how to get the best out of the product and regastar for adver, so people know i use the product? help please.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');