• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I realistically get near-professional results with Meguiar's Consumer Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I realistically get near-professional results with Meguiar's Consumer Products

Can I realistically get near-professional results with Meguiar's Consumer Products

New to this forum - first post.

I recently bought a black '97 Mazda Miata. The paint appears to be in good shape (high gloss) but in direct sun it has alot of swirl marks (similar to the 'before' photos of 'Superior Shine''s photos of the NGX in the Extreme Makeover forum.

So I went out and bought the Meguiar's Deep Crystal System. I washed the car with the Car Wash, then wiped dry with microfiber cloth. I then applied the Paint Cleaner (with a terry applicator pad) and - Whoa! I got a very streaky look - like fine scratches in the same direction (front to back) that I applied.

After reading many posts in this forum, it seems I should try a foam applicator pad - but am I wasting time here? Can I realistically expect to get close to the 'after' photos of the NGX or should I just pony up the bucks to have this done professionally?

Re: can I realistically get near-professional results with the consumer products

Well, first of all, it's very difficult to remove swirls by hand, generally speaking. How does the paint feel after washing? Is it rough or smooth? If it's very rough, you may have some contaminants that were broken loose with the DC1 that you are dragging around on the surface, or maybe a dirty/rough terry applicator.

Comment

Re: can I realistically get near-professional results with the consumer products

Welcome to the forum, consumer.

It's very difficult but not impossible to remove swirls by hand. You might give it a go with ColorX or ScratchX and do a 1' x 1' square at a time until the surface is as you want it. If you can I'd highly suggest buying a Porter Cable polisher. Meguiar's G100 with it's lifetime guarantee or the PC 7424 or 7336. This tool makes polishing 10 times faster and easier.

Before polishing though Wash, and clay the vehicle. Then polish and wax.

Yes, you can achieve excellent results with consumer products. It just takes a bit more work.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Here are some links and articles you may want to read, to help understand al lthe products, and how to work with them.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

thanks all for the advice. I read through the article on removing swirls by hand - is ScratchX more or less agressive than the DC Paint Cleaner? My thi niking is if ScratchX is more agressive - then I dont't think I want to use this?

Comment

ScratchX is more aggressive than DC#1, but both are on the very mild scale. If you feel ScratchX in your hand, it feels like a hand cream.. very mild.

Now, both products are for different purposes.

ScratchX is for removing light swirls and scratches by hand. It is a product that takes a lot of effort to work in, and really ***** if you have to do a whole car.

DC#1 is a mild cleaner, that is meant for regular use on the car, and while still should be worked in a little, is meant to be used more quickly overall.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by consumer View Post
              New to this forum - first post.
              I recently bought a black '97 Mazda Miata. The paint appears to be in good shape (high gloss) but in direct sun it has alot of swirl marks (similar to the 'before' photos of 'Superior Shine''s photos of the NGX in the Extreme Makeover forum.
              So I went out and bought the Meguiars DeepCrystal System. I washed the car with the Car Wash, then wiped dry with micofiber cloth. I then applied the Paint Cleaner (with a terry applicator pad) and - Whoa! I got a very streaky look - like fine scratches in the same direction (front to back) that I applied. After reading many posts in this forum, it seems I should try a foam applicator pad - but am I wasting time here? Can I realistically expect to get close to the 'after' photos of the NGX or should I just pony up the bucks to have this done professionally?

The short answer Yes! and Maybe:

First of all put the terry applicators in the round file they are worthless and will cause streaking. Use the foam applicators and remove the product with either a deep nap terry cloth soft towel or a mirofiber towel. Scratches can only really be completely removed by use of a rotory buffer (not recommended unless you know what you are doing). Some products will do a good job of hiding the scratches but over time they will come back. If you want the car to look great you are on the right track. If you want it to be flawless have it wet sanded flat buffed and never drive it, which would be a shame.

Comment

The money you spend on buying a G-100 will be worth it many times over if you want to have and keep a showcar shine. Its worth it, just to not have to do all that arm work trying to polish by hand.
                2006 Jeep Wrangler X

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');