• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sun damage, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun damage, please help!

About a month ago I noticed some sun damage on the paint of my car (1999 Silver Solara). The fender has been repainted due to an accident, but the hood hasn't. I haven't really maintained the paint that well, except getting it waxed about once a year. Is there a way to fix it without repainting? I don't know much about polishing, so any help would be appreciated. I have some pics but couldn't figure out how to post the.

Thanks,

Re: Sun damage, please help!

How to post pics:

Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Thanks...here are the pics:

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

It is hard to see from the pictures. I think I see the paint fading on the hood?

Comment

Looks to me, from the pictures, that your paint is beginning to oxidize. You can get a paint cleaner, such as Meguiar's Step 1 and Scratch X and that should help you out.

Since you are seeing defects from the sun, you should take note of this and wax more often. Or, at least upgrade your current wax.
          2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
          2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
            It is hard to see from the pictures. I think I see the paint fading on the hood?
            Yes, it seems the paint is fading? any way to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by pcfxer View Post
              Looks to me, from the pictures, that your paint is beginning to oxidize. You can get a paint cleaner, such as Meguiar's Step 1 and Scratch X and that should help you out.

Since you are seeing defects from the sun, you should take note of this and wax more often. Or, at least upgrade your current wax.
              Is oxidizing the same as paint fading? If so, I'll try Scratch X.

Comment

Paint fade = oxidation. Well, generally and from what I can tell. Though, if it is crackling, bubbling or flaking your clear coat is failing.

Secondly, if you don't already have Scratch X you might as well buy some and add it to your tool set.
                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

What I mean is it fading (losing color, in this case the paint would be turning white) or just becoming dull?

Comment

Done and failing. You need a repaint to the areas.
                    Quadruple Honda Owner
                    Black cars are easy!

Comment

That's was I was afraid of. Yes, the paint is discolored with white spots. Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');