• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory paint defect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory paint defect?

Hi,
    I just received my new car and I see something weird with the paint. On the roof and trunk, I have marks that I can't identify. I've uploaded a photo that shows what I am talking about. I tried removing them with M80 and a PC at speed 3, but it didn't work. Any ideas?

Re: Factory paint defect?

Since the car is new I would take it back to the dealer.

Just a side note, you want to use the PC on speed 5 to remove any kind of defects. Speed 3 is the speed you want to use when waxing
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Looks like sagging; probably too much paint was sprayed on at the factory.
      Art Layton
      2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Originally posted by sneek View Post
        Since the car is new I would take it back to the dealer.

Just a side note, you want to use the PC on speed 5 to remove any kind of defects. Speed 3 is the speed you want to use when waxing
        I'd rather deal with it myself if at all possible since the dealer could easily do more harm than good if they don't know what they are doing or don't know exactly where the problem lies. But, once I get a little more info about the problem, I may change my mind...

Comment

I think basically the reason why people are referring you back to the dealer is because the only way to fix this issue is to re-paint that area. If something simple like polishing could fix this the guys on this site would never refer you back to the dealer. Dealership "detailing" departments are filled with complete hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyc View Post
            I think basically the reason why people are referring you back to the dealer is because the only way to fix this issue is to re-paint that area. If something simple like polishing could fix this the guys on this site would never refer you back to the dealer. Dealership "detailing" departments are filled with complete hacks.
            It looks pretty clear that this flaw cannot be polished out. Take it to the dealer and have it repainted.
            Jim
            My Gallery

Comment

Thanks for info, now I need to decide whether or not I want the dealer to be repainting a new car. Is it ok to have a few sections of the car be repainted? Can you usually notice where it gets repainted? I assume that this is just a cosmetic issue, am I correct? Is there any problem with just leaving it alone?

Comment

oh ya i almost forgot to MOL! where in canada are you? and what kind of car is it?
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by mdd05 View Post
                  Thanks for info, now I need to decide whether or not I want the dealer to be repainting a new car. Is it ok to have a few sections of the car be repainted? Can you usually notice where it gets repainted? I assume that this is just a cosmetic issue, am I correct? Is there any problem with just leaving it alone?
                  That marring would be like a thorn in my side for as long as I owned the vehicle. My eyes would be drawn to it like flies to a road kill. I'd suggest to you that you paid for a flawless paint job and you didn't get one. It is possible that the flaw is just in the clear coat and this may be easily corrected. That said, factory paint is usually very thin and that marring may reflect a imperfect clear coat and could be prone to early failure. In fact, it looks like that vehicle was damaged somehow and was poorly repaired. I'd have them properly correct this flaw but I'm pretty picky about my cars and their appearance.

Given that a good body shop is used, that paint repair can be indistinguishable from the original if done properly. If you do have it corrected, refrain from waxing the freshly painted areas for a couple months.
                  Jim
                  My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by sneek View Post
                    oh ya i almost forgot to MOL! where in canada are you? and what kind of car is it?
                    Thanks. I'm in Winnipeg. The car is a BMW 323i in Sparkling Graphite.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');