• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearcoat Safe Brushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearcoat Safe Brushing

This weekend I went out and purchased new washing/detailing products. (Meguiar cleaner, polish, wax, wash mits and several microfiber towels)

I have been washing my older cars with a soft brush I purchased from Costco. I have a new 2007 Lexus RX and I'm wondering if the brush is safe for clearcoat. Last thing I want to do is introduce fine scratches or swirls on the new vehicle. I do have mits, but since it's a larger vehicle, I don't want to spend too much time washing.

Are there brush recommendations that are safe??
    Matt
    2007 Lexus RX350
    1998 Acura Integra

Re: Clearcoat Safe Brushing

I use one of these and love it.

Scott

Comment

Ive never been a fan of brushes. Ive read where people said the meguiars body brush is ok to use, but I still like using the mit..

Its really a personally preference. If you believe the brush is soft enough to not cause swirls then use it. I would be sure to spray it out good after it touches a dirty part of the car and also use the 2 bucket method..
      Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Thanks! I use a similar brush. You don't see any scratching from the Meguiar's brush? Where did you purchase it?
        Matt
        2007 Lexus RX350
        1998 Acura Integra

Comment

I don't notice any marks at all from it. I don't let my truck get too dirty. If you have gobs of mud and such I could see it scratching. I also rinse it good with the two bucket method. I still have to remember to order grit gaurds one of these days. I got my brush at Big Lots, it was $9.99.

Up until this year I have always used a mit also, but I can't reach the roof of my truck with it.
          Scott

Comment

I just picked up another body brush and a wide body brush at our local Big Lots.

They're the only synthetic brushes I'd use on paint. IMHO anything that isn't a Meg's body brush or natural boar's hair is for lawn furniture.

PC.

Comment

You're telling me I can go into a Big Lots and pick up a Meguiar's brush in SoCal?
              Matt
              2007 Lexus RX350
              1998 Acura Integra

Comment

Originally posted by TripleDES View Post
                You're telling me I can go into a Big Lots and pick up a Meguiar's brush in SoCal?
                My local one didn't have the brushes, but the one in the town over had just about every Meguiar's brush, and cheap too. When I went there I ended up spending about $60 on Meguiar's brushes.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TripleDES View Post
                  Not in Yorba Linda. They're out of them, now. (But they still have wheel brushes, interior brushes and some other stuff.)

Try the stores near you. It's a gamble but doesn't cost anything to look.

PC.

Comment

I'll need to stop by one and check it out. Thanks!!
                    Matt
                    2007 Lexus RX350
                    1998 Acura Integra

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                      I got my brush at Big Lots, it was $9.99.
                      Blue,
                      Thanks for suggesting Big Lots. I purchased three Meguiar's brushes from the local store!!
                      Matt
                      2007 Lexus RX350
                      1998 Acura Integra

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');