• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxidation: What can be done? - Clear Coat Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxidation: What can be done? - Clear Coat Failure

I worked on a 1999 Silver Hundai Sonata yesturday. It has extreme oxidation on the hood, passenger doors, and rear passenger fender. I used a coat of DC#1, Two passionate applications of ScratchX, DC#2, DC#3, and NXT Tech Wax. The results were minimal, what options do I have now?
    Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Re: Oxidation; What can be done?

Being a '99 it is most likley a base coat / clear coat finish. So what you are seeing is not oxidation, but clear coat failure. Nothing can de done to fix clear coat failure besides repainting the affected areas.
    You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Can you post any pictures for us ?

Mike
      Mike Pennington
      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
      Meguiar's, Inc.
      800-854-8073
      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

In most cases, now a days when people talk about extreme oxidation on a newer car with a clear coat, the problem they really have is clear coat failure.

Oxidation is a problem you really see with single stage paints, not clear coats. Clear coats do oxidize, but very slowly compared to single stage paints.

We have a thread somewhere on the forum that we addressed this thoroughly, it might be in Hot Topics.

Also just to note, please post questions in the Detailing 101 forum, the forums in the "Information Station" are threads/articles we place there because they server a larger purpose.

General questions go in Detailing 101...

You'll see this thread has been moved.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Type the words,

Clear Coat Failure

Into the search function and you get a plethora of information on this topic, suffice to say, if the car you're working does in fact have clear coat failure, then the only honest repair it to repaint the car.

Here's a few...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Like Mike pointed out, pictures would help us to pinpoint the problem accurately but having said that...

Originally posted by Detaillab View Post
            Two passionate applications of ScratchX, DC#2, DC#3, and NXT Tech Wax. The results were minimal,

When a two passionate applications of ScratchX followed by more polishing and waxing isn't making a noticeable difference, then chances are good nothing poured out of a bottle or scooped out of a can is going to fix paint in this condition.

Check out some of the links in the above threads there are pictures of clear coat failure, if what you're working on looks like any of the pictures then you can share this with us.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

There are parts of it that look similar to the pictures, but for the most part it is just faded and rough, smoother than it was yesturday, but rough. I could post pic's tomorrow
              Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');