• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning hood mat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning hood mat?

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
    That's what I've heard. Although the amount of engine fires I've seen that the mat didn't apparently do anything, give me a fire extinguisher.
    Exactly. I got me one this past Christmas and mounted it in my Jeep. Even if I never use it, it makes me feel alot better having it.

The mat is for sound deadening. I have it all over the firewall and all along the tranny tunnel under the Jeep.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

The best way to clean the mat is to buy a new one.

Comment

[QUOTE=roushstage2;191455]That's what I've heard. Although the amount of engine fires I've seen that the mat didn't apparently do anything, give me a fire extinguisher.[/QUOTE

I had a 84' Impala back in the day and it's replacement hood from the junkyard didn't have a mat. And every time it rained it steamed it was very, very annoying.

Comment

lol, I sprayed mine with tire shine once and it made it look new again. I scrubbed it with a damp rag before hand to remove the loose dirt sitting in the fabric, then I sprayed the tire shine and rubbed it in with a clean rag. Believe it or not, it worked great and I didn't have any problems. Try at your own risk!
          --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

A Hal-Guard fire extinguisher is on my list.

If those mats were in fact for fire purposes, I think they'd be mandatory on all cars. I agree with sound deadening.

That steam issue sounds like something else? Water getting in the bay?

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
              lol, I sprayed mine with tire shine once and it made it look new again. I scrubbed it with a damp rag before hand to remove the loose dirt sitting in the fabric, then I sprayed the tire shine and rubbed it in with a clean rag. Believe it or not, it worked great and I didn't have any problems. Try at your own risk!
              That's how I just cleaned mine. A damp rag soaked with WBD. I think this is how I am going to do it from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
                Hoping Tire shine is not flammable.

Comment

Originally posted by G Force View Post
                  Hoping Tire shine is not flammable.
                  Not planning on having any sparks or open flames under the hood!
                  --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                    That's how I just cleaned mine. A damp rag soaked with WBD. I think this is how I am going to do it from now on.
                    Pardon my ignorance but what is "WBD" Is it "water based dressing"? again sorry if this is stating the obvious.

Cheers.
                    The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Yep! Water Based Dressing.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');