• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different Methods!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Methods!!!!

Hello every one hope you all are having a good day!!! I have a question on different sanding methods. I know how to wet sand pretty well, but I want to know which method is the best or fastest or better material saving method to sand a car. Method A) wet sand 1000 on a pad then 1500 then 3000 on da. B) Dry sand 1000 then dry 1500 then 3000 wet. I had to dry sand a medium size 4 door car today the clear was extremely dry so it took me eight hours to just sand it it seemed like an eternity just seeing how I went through sand paper and the orange/dry peel still stood there. I was told to do it that way. I'm used to wet sanding its more tiring than using a DA but it’s quicker and the finish comes out much flatter. I hand sand first then finish with the DA. Thanks for your time have a good day.

Re: Different Methods!!!!

The fastest method is to do all the sanding you can, wet or dry with a pneumatic DA. (In theory you could wetsand with an electric DA and a GFCI but I sure wouldn’t try.)

Save the hand sanding for spot issues, runs, sags, dust nibs and places the machine can’t reach.

As with buffing the best product progression will depend on the paint. Doing a test spot is just as informative for sanding as for polishing.

PC.

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice I'll do it that way then. I was just wondring which way is quickest. Have a good day!!!

Comment

I'm more familiar with wet sanding and if you want to move fast, 1000 to 1200 grit sanding papers will do the job quicker, and then it's recommended to use 2000 or smaller grit to make sand mark removal easier and faster.

regarding dry sanding (haven't done it before but read pretty much), 3M recommends in its tutorials to start with 1200 or 1500 discs, depending on the severity of the defects, using an interface (soft) pad between the hard pad and the disc when working on contours or body lines.
        once the defects are removed, then you can refine scratches with a 3000 grit disc to make the process faster. then do the usual: compound, polish, re polish if youre looking for a flawless finish (optional) and wax or use a bodyshop safe polymer, depending if the finish is cured or not (optional).

Hope this helps
        " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

i always start with 3000, just to remove any surface dirt that may get caught under the heavy stuff like 1200 or1500
          Noswirler

Comment

Thanks for the response it helps very much, I will put to use these different methods. What kind of polish # are you talking about for a flawless finish. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');