• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Pads with the PC - Good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cutting Pads with the PC - Good idea?

Thanks for the clarification regarding Meguiar's stance on not to use cutting pads on a DA. I'm the person in the link above with the Accord and LC Orange/FPII combo.

I've since discovered that the polish i was using had minimal cutting ability; much less than Swirl Mark Remover 2.0, and it's primary function was finishing product. I suspect the swirls i was putting on the car was due to the Polish/Light Cutting Pad of the LC ORange.

However, when switching to a true correcting polish; IP (Intensive Polish) with the same pad, I was able to take care of a majority (~90%) of all defects in the paint. Finishing later with a true polishing pad and finishing polish FP( Final Polish) worked perfectly.

I'd thought I'd had the perfect combo until reading this post however. From what I gather, no cutting pad should be used with a DA polisher as it's full potential is not realized unless it's on a rotary, and the random orbit of the DA can introduce defects. You'd also recommended that the user step up to a rotary if the DA/Polishing Pad combo and #83 (strongest cutting polish recommended for DA use) didn't suffice.

However, I've noticed in a few pictures from a recent Open Garage of members using the G110 with a cutting pad on the black wrecking yard hood of the GMC. Is it OK to use a cutting pad, if and only if it is followed up with a polishing pad? Or was the use during Open Garage a special case anomaly?

I appreciate any info and clarification you can provide on this subject.

Comment

The new foam cutting pad that just came out is for use with a PC.

I think the reasoning behind not using the 'old' cutting pad is that it leaves a hazy. Not everyone knows to, or can follow up to remove the hazing.
      Scott

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response! I think I'll have to try out the new Cutting and Polishing Pads and see how they perform.

Do you happen to know how aggressive the Maroon pad is when compared to the LC Orange (CCS) Mild Cutting/Polishing Pads?

Comment

Originally posted by hngu7721 View Post
          Thanks for the prompt response! I think I'll have to try out the new Cutting and Polishing Pads and see how they perform.

Do you happen to know how aggressive the Maroon pad is when compared to the LC Orange (CCS) Mild Cutting/Polishing Pads?
          The old maroon 8006 pad is, from my experience, more aggressive than the Orange LC pad
          Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
          Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Bumping an old thread here- and perhaps the message is outdated (or not?). That's why am asking the question. I'm using all Megs polishes and waxes/sealants. And plan to use Lake Country pads. The bulk of this thread is leading me to believe that a LC white pad (with "very light cleaning power") may not be an appropriate choice of pad, due to potential marring. Should I only be attempting to use LC blue or black pads on my DA (and no other pads more aggressive than just those two)?

Comment

The LC white pads are pretty much the "go to" for a lot of situations,

That said, ALWAYS start doing test spots with the LEAST aggressive methods. It's a lot easier to say, "Well that didn't do enough." Rather than, "Oh S**T!"

Merry Christmas!

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');