• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wash without Soap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash without Soap?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone considered washing your car without soap? My car is garaged during the week, and I take it out on weekends... so usually, there is very little dirt, and mostly dust. I'm trying to avoid swirlies in my black paint as much as possible, and it makes sense to not use soap with the exception of the areas that really need it (bumper, rims...). Are there any reasons I *shouldn't* do this??

Thx!

Re: Wash without Soap?

While I am not an expert, I think you would be putting swirls in your paint by not using a good car wash soap. I prefer Meg's Gold Class. I would think you would need a soap to provide lubricity, or else you will grind the dust/dirt particles into your paint. Just my opinion!

Comment

Sorry, I didn't clarify... I meant not using any sort of mitt/brush, and just rinsing it off, and only washing the parts that are needed. I do use GC soap, and I do use the 2 bucket method. The swirlies I had there were DISO, but now I have started to get rid of them with my newly bought PC (I'll post pics on another thread!)... as any black car owner would know, once they are gone, you would do anything to keep them away

But yes - if I were actually washing with a mitt/brush WITHOUT soap, that would just be a baad idea.

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by it making sense not to use soap?

But, Meguiars does make several quick detailer products, that are meant for removing light dust. You could certainly look into them, and see if one sounds good:

Quick Detailer
        Nxt Speed Detailer
        Last Touch
        Final Inspection
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Dragging a mitt all across your car, no matter what type, will inflict minor scratches/swirls eventually I'm sure.. my reasoning is that if the car simply has loose dirt on it, why bother soaping it and wiping it with a mitt when the dirt can simply rinse off - and then you dry. I use QD products, but I haven't considered QDing the whole car because I don't really see it cleaning as well as water - could be wrong though.

Comment

if you want to avoid scratches, use a high pressure washer or take the nizzle out of the hose and just let it pour on the surface of the vehicle. if you don't want to wash the car and it's just dusty, use a mf towel and a QD.
            before u rev em up, shine em up!

Comment

get the Meguiar's body duster since your car is garaged.
              use Quik detailer and a microfiber towel and wipe off the areas you feel needs a touch up.
              was your entire car if you feel its time such as after rain or been driving the entire week and you feel a good wash is due.
              good luck.

Comment

I would always soap your rocker panels (usually from the trim strip down), your front end and the front windshield, everything else rinse VERY well with good pressure then use a syntetic cham to sweep across the paint then finish of with your QD product. No matter what brand I believe all soap takes away from your wax finish - so only use when necessary.
                Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

Rinsing a car without washing it first and then letting it dry on its own is the same as parking next to sprinklers.

Water with high mineral content can etch your paint, doing a lot more damage than light dirt just sitting there.

If you are going to “just rinse” it’s best to use water with little or no chemical impurities. Most people’s tap water doesn’t qualify. If your municipal water has minerals (and practically all do) you’ll want to get water that’s been purified by reverse osmosis, de-ionization or distillation.

PC.

Comment

I have tried just rinsing the car without washing it first with a mitt, soap etc. And there are waterspots left, but they will go away the next time I wash it normaly. No problems with waterspots for me. I do this in a garage, might be different if the sun dries the water.

Comment

jdhar - I don't think most people understand what you are asking. What you're saying makes sense. I've done it before. Hitting it with a hose to knock the dust off is perfectly fine. My car stays garaged 97% of the time. Typically sees 1.5 hours of daylight a week. Get you a car duster, dust it off when you feel it needs it. Then hit it up with some QD. I haven't washed my car in a couple of months and it looks like I just washed it. Garaged cars are easy to keep clean - just don't drive in the rain and definitely not until the roads dry up afterwards.
                      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');