Topping NXT
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Topping NXT

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Topping NXT aka "How to top one type of wax with a different type of wax

Topping NXT aka "How to top one type of wax with a different type of wax

There is always a lot of talk about topping NXT with other products, because this is a popular topic, I thought I would offer this simple suggestion.

If you think you would like to apply a topper over NXT, before you apply your choice of a topper over the entire finish, first do a side-by-side comparison and inspect your results carefully to insure that the test area does in fact look better than NXT by itself before applying your choice of topper to the entire finish. If you apply your choice of a topper to the entire car without comparing, you will never know if it improved or diminished the results created by the NXT alone.

Here's how to do a test spot,

First - Wait until you have two thin, uniform applications of NXT Tech Wax over the entire finish. Two thin applications always look better than one application.

Second - Find a nice flat panel like the hood or deck lid so that you can look down on the finish while standing over it. Apply your choice of a topper to a square section about one foot square being careful to do so in a way as to have a very distinct section with only the topper in this section. Allow the topper to dry according to the instruction and the remove with a microfiber polishing cloth or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. To be fair, you should apply a second coat in this same section to insure a uniform application. Again, apply and remove according to the product's directions.

After you applied and removed your choice of a topper carefully, inspect the two areas under different lighting conditions. Different lighting conditions will allow your eyes to see the different dimensions of your finish, such as richness, gloss, shine and clearness or clarity. View the two areas from different angles, from directly overhead, and with a light source centered in the area, like the sun. You may also want to have some friends compare the two areas also, a second set of fresh eyes may see something you miss, especially after you've been working on the finish and staring at the paint for hours.

If after doing this side-by-side comparison test in one small area, your eyes will tell you whether or not you want to continue with applying the topper to the entire finish.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Topping NXT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Topping NXT

Topping NXT

There is always a lot of talk about topping NXT with other products, because this is a popular topic, I thought I would offer this simple suggestion.

If you think you would like to apply a topper over NXT, before you apply your choice of a topper over the entire finish, first do a side-by-side comparison and inspect your results carefully to insure that the test area does in fact look better than NXT by itself before applying your choice of topper to the entire finish. If you apply your choice of a topper to the entire car without comparing, you will never know if it improved or diminished the results created by the NXT alone.

Here's how to do a test spot,

First - Wait until you have two thin, uniform applications of NXT Tech Wax over the entire finish. Two thin applications always look better than one application.

Second - Find a nice flat panel like the hood or deck lid so that you can look down on the finish while standing over it. Apply your choice of a topper to a square section about one foot square being careful to do so in a way as to have a very distinct section with only the topper in this section. Allow the topper to dry according to the instruction and the remove with a microfiber polishing cloth or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. To be fair, you should apply a second coat in this same section to insure a uniform application. Again, apply and remove according to the product's directions.

After you applied and removed your choice of a topper carefully, inspect the two areas under different lighting conditions. Different lighting conditions will allow your eyes to see the different dimensions of your finish, such as richness, gloss, shine and clearness or clarity. View the two areas from different angles, from directly overhead, and with a light source centered in the area, like the sun. You may also want to have some friends compare the two areas also, a second set of fresh eyes may see something you miss, especially after you've been working on the finish and staring at the paint for hours.

If after doing this side-by-side comparison test in one small area, your eyes will tell you whether or not you want to continue with applying the topper to the entire finish.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
    excellent information, thanks!

Thanks rkollman,

It's interesting that you've made the first comment on this topic since it was posted Jul 1st, 2004, 08:28 AM , that's 2.5 years ago!

Interesting in that it's a popular topic of discussion on this forum and on so many other forums, but to date we've never seen anyone on any other forum explain the how and why behind topping.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the very useful info Mike.
    SYDSTER

Registered Member

Mike,
    I followed your advice (not with NXT but with 21)
    Topped with P21s and could not see a difference between the two.
    Thanks for saving me some $$$
    Got Faith?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeMCS View Post
    Mike,
    I followed your advice (not with NXT but with 21)
    Topped with P21s and could not see a difference between the two.
    Thanks for saving me some $$$
    Always at your service.
    Mike Phillips

Registered Member

Mike, you probably haven't gotten any traction on this because NXT is so good you really don't need to top it. Now perhaps some of the other excellent products can be topped with NXT, but after I've used NXT the only other thing to top it with is more NXT:-)
    Wash, Polish, Wax...Just Do IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    Mike, you probably haven't gotten any traction on this because NXT is so good you really don't need to top it. Now perhaps some of the other excellent products can be topped with NXT, but after I've used NXT the only other thing to top it with is more NXT:-)
    You make a great point, NXT Tech Wax is a great wax that doesn't really improve when topped with anything, the only reason we wrote this article is because so many people want to try topping one wax with a different wax to try to take their results to a higher level that we wanted to point out some tips and guidelines for doing this and we didn't see anything like this written up on any other detailing discussion forum, even though the topic is talked about on other forums.

So we wrote an article on the topic.

We didn't want to see people wasting their time chasing after the unattainable in some cases but we also know that you can top some waxes with a different wax and actually take the finish to a higher level, so while the article is titled

Topping NXT

In reality it's a "how-to" article on topping any wax with any other wax, not just NXT. With some common sense guidelines added to insure people doing this don't waste their time.
    Mike Phillips

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    NXT Tech Wax is a great wax that doesn't really improve when topped with anything
    agreed. i applied two thin coats of nxt over a month ago and it's been doing an excellent job of getting me through winter thus far...

Thank you Mike for the advise. I used play around with this topping, that topping. I guess sometimes we get influence by the things we read. But lately, I just use 1 single type of wax/sealants by itself, sometimes 2 thin coats or just 1 coat. Now I'm just seeking for a balance between a protection & shine. Nothing extreme anymore. Hehe...maybe I'm getting old I guess.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information