• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topping NXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topping NXT

Topping NXT aka "How to top one type of wax with a different type of wax

There is always a lot of talk about topping NXT with other products, because this is a popular topic, I thought I would offer this simple suggestion.

If you think you would like to apply a topper over NXT, before you apply your choice of a topper over the entire finish, first do a side-by-side comparison and inspect your results carefully to insure that the test area does in fact look better than NXT by itself before applying your choice of topper to the entire finish. If you apply your choice of a topper to the entire car without comparing, you will never know if it improved or diminished the results created by the NXT alone.

Here's how to do a test spot,

First - Wait until you have two thin, uniform applications of NXT Tech Wax over the entire finish. Two thin applications always look better than one application.

Second - Find a nice flat panel like the hood or deck lid so that you can look down on the finish while standing over it. Apply your choice of a topper to a square section about one foot square being careful to do so in a way as to have a very distinct section with only the topper in this section. Allow the topper to dry according to the instruction and the remove with a microfiber polishing cloth or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. To be fair, you should apply a second coat in this same section to insure a uniform application. Again, apply and remove according to the product's directions.

After you applied and removed your choice of a topper carefully, inspect the two areas under different lighting conditions. Different lighting conditions will allow your eyes to see the different dimensions of your finish, such as richness, gloss, shine and clearness or clarity. View the two areas from different angles, from directly overhead, and with a light source centered in the area, like the sun. You may also want to have some friends compare the two areas also, a second set of fresh eyes may see something you miss, especially after you've been working on the finish and staring at the paint for hours.

If after doing this side-by-side comparison test in one small area, your eyes will tell you whether or not you want to continue with applying the topper to the entire finish.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Topping NXT

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Topping NXT

Topping NXT

There is always a lot of talk about topping NXT with other products, because this is a popular topic, I thought I would offer this simple suggestion.

If you think you would like to apply a topper over NXT, before you apply your choice of a topper over the entire finish, first do a side-by-side comparison and inspect your results carefully to insure that the test area does in fact look better than NXT by itself before applying your choice of topper to the entire finish. If you apply your choice of a topper to the entire car without comparing, you will never know if it improved or diminished the results created by the NXT alone.

Here's how to do a test spot,

First - Wait until you have two thin, uniform applications of NXT Tech Wax over the entire finish. Two thin applications always look better than one application.

Second - Find a nice flat panel like the hood or deck lid so that you can look down on the finish while standing over it. Apply your choice of a topper to a square section about one foot square being careful to do so in a way as to have a very distinct section with only the topper in this section. Allow the topper to dry according to the instruction and the remove with a microfiber polishing cloth or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. To be fair, you should apply a second coat in this same section to insure a uniform application. Again, apply and remove according to the product's directions.

After you applied and removed your choice of a topper carefully, inspect the two areas under different lighting conditions. Different lighting conditions will allow your eyes to see the different dimensions of your finish, such as richness, gloss, shine and clearness or clarity. View the two areas from different angles, from directly overhead, and with a light source centered in the area, like the sun. You may also want to have some friends compare the two areas also, a second set of fresh eyes may see something you miss, especially after you've been working on the finish and staring at the paint for hours.

If after doing this side-by-side comparison test in one small area, your eyes will tell you whether or not you want to continue with applying the topper to the entire finish.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
    excellent information, thanks!

Comment

Thanks rkollman,

It's interesting that you've made the first comment on this topic since it was posted Jul 1st, 2004, 08:28 AM , that's 2.5 years ago!

Interesting in that it's a popular topic of discussion on this forum and on so many other forums, but to date we've never seen anyone on any other forum explain the how and why behind topping.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the very useful info Mike.
        SYDSTER

Comment

Mike,
          I followed your advice (not with NXT but with 21)
          Topped with P21s and could not see a difference between the two.
          Thanks for saving me some $$$
          Got Faith?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckeyeMCS View Post
            Mike,
            I followed your advice (not with NXT but with 21)
            Topped with P21s and could not see a difference between the two.
            Thanks for saving me some $$$
            Always at your service.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, you probably haven't gotten any traction on this because NXT is so good you really don't need to top it. Now perhaps some of the other excellent products can be topped with NXT, but after I've used NXT the only other thing to top it with is more NXT:-)
              Wash, Polish, Wax...Just Do IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Dee View Post
                Mike, you probably haven't gotten any traction on this because NXT is so good you really don't need to top it. Now perhaps some of the other excellent products can be topped with NXT, but after I've used NXT the only other thing to top it with is more NXT:-)
                You make a great point, NXT Tech Wax is a great wax that doesn't really improve when topped with anything, the only reason we wrote this article is because so many people want to try topping one wax with a different wax to try to take their results to a higher level that we wanted to point out some tips and guidelines for doing this and we didn't see anything like this written up on any other detailing discussion forum, even though the topic is talked about on other forums.

So we wrote an article on the topic.

We didn't want to see people wasting their time chasing after the unattainable in some cases but we also know that you can top some waxes with a different wax and actually take the finish to a higher level, so while the article is titled

Topping NXT

In reality it's a "how-to" article on topping any wax with any other wax, not just NXT. With some common sense guidelines added to insure people doing this don't waste their time.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  NXT Tech Wax is a great wax that doesn't really improve when topped with anything
                  agreed. i applied two thin coats of nxt over a month ago and it's been doing an excellent job of getting me through winter thus far...

Comment

Thank you Mike for the advise. I used play around with this topping, that topping. I guess sometimes we get influence by the things we read. But lately, I just use 1 single type of wax/sealants by itself, sometimes 2 thin coats or just 1 coat. Now I'm just seeking for a balance between a protection & shine. Nothing extreme anymore. Hehe...maybe I'm getting old I guess.

Comment

Hi Mike,
                      Thank you for an interesting thread here. I just washed, clayed, #80 on my 91 black MR2. Only half the car is done so far. Lots of hours... Anyhow, I applied 2 thin coats of #16 on the car. I was thinking about putting on the 3rd coat or LSP with NXT Tech LIQUID wax. However, I am a bit concern since there was another thread where you mention that using M26 liquid remove some of #16.

So I was wondering if I applied NXT Tech wax would remove #16 at all?

thanks.
                      Sean

Here's the other thread:
                      Re: #16 over #26
                      <HR style="COLOR: #999999" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
                      <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jarred767
                      I realized in my last post that I never really said what the process was that I was going to be using.
                      Wash
                      Clay
                      M83 by DA (if needed)
                      M80 by DA
                      M21 by DA
                      Liquid M26 by DA
                      M16 (probably by hand)

Hopefully it all works out

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                      This combination should give the best results for what you're trying to accomplish.

Quote:
                      <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jarred767

To your question mike, it is the liquid version of M26, does this make much difference to the process or final outcome?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                      Just curious...

There's some characteristics about M16 that makes it unique and there's some characteristics about paste versus liquid that make application different. If you were to apply the liquid version of M26 over the M16 because it's a liquid in form this together with the agitation of however you apply it would act to loosen and re-liquify some of the M16 which would somewhat defeat what you're trying to do.

M16 because its a thick, hard wax, won't really tend to do the above. Thus my first comment to the process you outlined.
                      <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comment

First off I want to say that thanks to NXT my car has survived the harsh Canadian winter here with the ton of road salt and sand and other **** completely unscathed. I only wax occasionally in the winter here and if anything the finish looks better than ever.

The only thing I've found to "top" NXT liquid is NXT spray and the best results I've gotten is to put a coat of liquid followed by a coat of spray. The liquid offers superior protection and the spray even better gloss and for me at least I've used 2 coats of liquid and the one and one and you don't need a side by side to spot the superior shine of using both.

I ran just the spray for a while last fall and while nothing outshines it, it doesn't quite offer the same protection as the liquid which is why it's twice as expensive. Both together though with a generous application of each offer a completely awesome combo that will make your car's finish stand out like no other. I want to give people the experience of seeing the best damn shine on a car they have ever seen in their lives and NXT has made this possible.

As far as other waxes go you don't put an inferior wax over a superior one if you don't want to lose some gloss and there's nothing superior to NXT.

Comment

I was just told by meguiars that you cant layer waxes

Comment

I'm not sure what is meant here by "can't" although if it makes you feel better I can tell you that I've "layered" waxes for about 30 years and I've never been arrested yet for it and both myself and my cars survived the ordeals

Some people will tell you that it's a waste of time though and you're pretty much removing the first coat with the second. This will be true to a certain point depending on the wax but with even the least durable wax you're going to be ahead by a meaningful amount, and with something like NXT which is very durable it's going to be quite meaningful, in my experience anyway. I'm not a scientist but if they are telling you that you shouldn't ever apply 2 coats then the science and the real world aren't on the same page. Preferably though you're using something else though for the second coat but again the second coat has to be something that's glossier or you ARE wasting your time.

On the other hand it's not really necessary to do especially with NXT and you'll get fabulous results even with a single thin coat. I've found though that if you really want the real eye candy look that will get stared at by everyone in admiration you're going to have to put the work into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thejoyofdriving View Post
                              I was just told by meguiars that you cant layer waxes
                              Who at Meguiar's told you this?

That's not what it says here...

Layering
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');