• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great ScratchX Questions Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great ScratchX Questions Thread!

Great ScratchX Questions Thread!

Would it be possible to use scratch x with the dual action polisher or would it be better to use it by hand...one section at a time?

also, mike, I attended the detailing day class with 8thcivic, but I forgot what speed settings are for what...I know 3 and 5 were the speeds you mentioned but i can't for the life of me remember which was for polishing and which was for waxing.

Next time I plan on taking paper and pencil to take notes so i don't forget all the good information you cover.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Re: Scratch X

From what I have heard you can use ScratchX with a PC.

The speed settings for PC use are:

5 = Polishing (Removing defects)
    3 = Applying waxes
    5 = Removing waxes.
    You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

here is some other info that may help you.

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

How To Remove Swirls By Hand
      You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

You can use ScratchX with PC, but it's not recommend due to ScratchX is too thick substance that will stuck to the paint and very hard to get out once it dried. I believe Meguiar's recommend ScratchX is used by hand only. If you want something that have the similar "aggressiveness" as ScratchX but can be use with PC, then #83 (professional line) will do the job nicely.
        "Huu duyen thien ly nang tuong ngo,
        Vo duyen doi dien bat tuong phung."

Comment

#80 can be comparable to ScratchX as well. . it all depends the paint, and applying it properly.

Basically, try #80 first on the large areas, and ScratchX the areas that a PC cant reach.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by calircr View Post
            Would it be possible to use scratch x with the dual action polisher or would it be better to use it by hand...one section at a time?

Tim
            At this time Meguiar's does not recommend using ScratchX by machine because when it becomes heated it becomes very gummy and this can make if very difficult to wipe off.

Instead, what we demonstrated and discussed was using ScratchX by hand and if you want to work by machine then step over to our Professional Line and use either M80 Speed Glaze, if you find M80 Speed Glaze isn't aggressive enough, then use M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish.

At this last weekend's class for the Honda S2000 club we did this using M80 Speed Glaze,

Horrific swirls in this Carbon Fiber Hood provides Meguiar's with the opportunity to show people how to remove swirls the right way the first time...

• Wipe down with Quick Detailer to remove loose dust
            • Clay with our Smooth Surface Clay Kit to remove above surface bonded contaminants
            • Clean using M80 Speed Glaze with a W-8006 foam polishing pad on the G100 using the 5.0 setting.
            • Protect using NXT Tech Wax with a W-9006 finishing pad on the 3.0 setting.
            • Remove dried wax using our microfiber bonnet over a clean, dry W-7006 foam cutting pad on the 5.0 setting.

Using the correct techniques, M80/W-8006/G100 will take care of 90% of what most people are concerned over.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              At this time Meguiar's does not recommend using ScratchX by machine because when it becomes heated it becomes very gummy and this can make if very difficult to wipe off.
              Mike, I I thought it was re-formulated for use with PC or was that a rumor?
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
                That is what I had heard too.

Comment

from what I heard its the same formular but some people have been useing it with PC's but Meguiars doesn't recommend it as it can clog up the pad, and you get better results doing it by hand instead of with a PC. If using a PC it is better to get #80 and leave the scratchX for those hard to reach spots where the PC can't get to.

I might be wrong thou, but thats my 2 cents worth.

Trev

Comment

Ive always thought of Scratch X the way Murr suggested, which is as a supporting role in the use of #80. For areas where control of the PC may be an issue or small hard to reach areas.
                    2006 Jeep Wrangler X

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
                      To date, there has been no announcement of this change. The current formula on the market is for hand use, not machine.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by MotorcycleDetailing View Post
                        but Meguiar's doesn't recommend it as it can clog up the pad,
                        The reason is not because it clogs up pads, any product can do that, the reason is,
                        Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Originally posted by MotorcycleDetailing View Post
                        and you get better results doing it by hand instead of with a PC.
                        ScratchX removes below surface defects really well by hand or machine, it's just the gummy-factor that prevents Meguiar's from officially recommending it for machine use.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by matt_c View Post
                          Ive always thought of Scratch X the way Murr suggested, which is as a supporting role in the use of #80. For areas where control of the PC may be an issue or small hard to reach areas.
                          This idea/application is sound, as long as we don't loose the fact that ScratchX can be used over an entire car by hand. Some people think it's for spot repair only, of for small areas that you cannot reach by machine, but this is not true, paint is paint, if you rub ScratchX over a small area, or a large area, the end-results will be the same, (assuming you use good technique).

Now if you do all your work by machine, then ScratchX is a vital component of your arsenal because there are always going to be areas where you cannot get a machine.
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike

Now that
                            ScratchX
                            is New and Improved, do you still recommend hand use only or is DA now acceptable in your eyes? What settings would you use for the New
                            ScratchX
                            (
                            wtw
                            , now available at
                            Walmart
                            ).

Jezroj
                            Sunnyside, California

Comment

Hey Guys,

What are your thoughts about using a basic, orbital buffer (not a PC) with 6" foam pad to work the ScratchX? I would think this would be as effective as a person's hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');