• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

# 16 = maximum mold release # 8 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # 16 = maximum mold release # 8 ???

The buzz on another web site is that Meguiar's maximum mold release # 8 is identicle to meguiar's # 16. Is there any truth to this? Ther are other detailers who swear they are the same products in different packageing. Is this a way around the V.O.C. restrictions because it's not for automotive use ?

Re: # 16 = maximum mold release # 8 ???

The buzz = Autopia

Comment

Yeah we read the thread... at least half a dozen people sent me the link...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by jguerra3235 View Post
        The buzz on another web site is that Meguiar's maximum mold release # 8 is identicle to meguiar's # 16. Is there any truth to this? Ther are other detailers who swear they are the same products in different packageing. Is this a way around the V.O.C. restrictions because it's not for automotive use ?
        Probably the best thing to do would be to have the original poster or the guy he cites share where they obtained this information...
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Taking a quick peek at the MSDS for each product (http://www.meguiars.com/msds/msds_search.cfm), they are not the same products. For one, #16 has no turpentine.
          They're going to wax their car over there.

Best post I've ever read.

Comment

MSD sheets are for safety purposes, they are not formulas although many people like to position them in this manner. At the end of the day,

”Find something you like and use it often”

If you find a product you like, then apparently the results look good in your eyes, if you use it often, then your finish will always look great. It's only when you begin to neglect or abuse the finish that it goes down hill.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Has anyone tried mold release #8 ???? I've heard of lots of myths about car care. But I would like to know if there is any truth to this one.

Comment

Well if it is I am sure Meguiar's will not confirm it.

That said are there any neg. side effects to using #8 on cars paint?
                You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

I don't get it!! What are people looking for?

I use the products Meguiars recommends the way Meguiar recommends I use them (OK #49 on the old Plymouth was a strech-lol) and I get consistant brillant results that I make a living from.

So what is missing? Are these people not able to obtain satisfactory results with the proper product and are looking for something magical??
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post

I use the products Meguiars recommends the way Meguiar recommends I use them (OK #49 on the old Plymouth was a strech-lol) and I get consistant brillant results that I make a living from.

So what is missing? Are these people not able to obtain satisfactory results with the proper product and are looking for something magical??

My thoughts too!
                    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post

They're looking for a replacement for #16.
                      Quadruple Honda Owner
                      Black cars are easy!

Comment

...and when it exists, like for example Collinite's heavy wax; badged as:

#476s Super Doublecoat Paste Wax (automotive)
                        #900 Mold Release (molds)
                        #885 Fleetwax Paste (marine & aeronautics)
                        #S-238 Insulator Paste Wax (power industry)

...and marketed to different target markets but they are exactly the same, why wouldn't you buy it as a replacement? If #16 exists as #whatever but in a different tin... who cares?

Comment

I found this in another thread.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          Meguiar's #8 Maximum Mold Release Wax is either the first, or one of the first waxes ever formulated for the brand new invention called Fiberglas, which was glass strands by Dupont and a polyester resin by Dupont also (I think). I don't believe the #8 formula has ever been changed, I can check on that but I believe that is something one of the chemist told me when I was working on the new Velocity line of Synthetic Polymer mold release sealers and release products.

Point being, this is an older product that works great for creating a barrier film between the mold and the plug, but it's not the best product for automotive paints.

Mold release waxes are interesting products.

The problem with them is most of the time when compared to modern formula's for automotive paints, they will not protect a car's finish as well, in the environments a car is exposed to. Mold release waxes are formulated for a very controlled environment, not a wide range of attacks.

Meguiar's would recommend a state of the art product like the new NXT Tech Wax for both beauty and protection.

Mike
                          You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Well I decided not to mess with the unknown. So I bought a can of Meguiar's #16 off of e-bay. My next wax job I'll see how it works. I hear lots of great things about #16.

Comment

Originally posted by jguerra3235 View Post
                              Well I decided not to mess with the unknown. So I bought a can of Meguiar's #16 off of e-bay. My next wax job I'll see how it works. I hear lots of great things about #16.

There ya go!!
                              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');