• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Model T Detailing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Model T Detailing???

I've been asked to help a friend detail a Model T. The car has the original black paint (supposed). I don't have many details about the car; ie year, options, etc. Do you have any suggestions in detailing the paint of this car? I wasn't planning on using any sort of abrasive cleaner, compound, or clay. I just don't know what will work. As the paint is supposedly original, I definately don't want to harm it.

I was planning on doing a simple wash and a coat of GC and #21 by hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Re: Ford Model T Detailing???

I don't know what year the Model Ts were made, but I do know that Joe from Superior Shine did an older 40's vehicle that had a repaint, and it came out great. Here's the link, maybe this will give you some hints?

Schotography

Comment

If this Model T has the original paint then you want to be very careful when working on it as it will likely be very soft and possibly thin. Model T's actually have a lot of small body lines in their panels, so also be care of any high points not to rub too hard.

The best approach for a car like this is to use the least aggressive product to get the job done.

Wipe the car down really well with a quick detailer if you're not going to wash it first. Often times owners don't like to wash antique cars because it just puts water in all the cracks & crevices to cause rust and they don't want to do this.

After getting the car clean, definitely clay it, if this is the original paint, it's had 70+ years to accumulate above surface contaminants.

Next, rub the car down with a gentle paint cleaner like Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, this will clean the paint, remove dead, oxidizing paint and start the process of creating a deep, wet shine.

Next, and this is optional, polish with either Deep Crystal Polish or #7

Next, apply wax, Gold Class, NXT or M21, or M26, all of these waxes will leave a deep, wet shine and really bring out the color.

Have lots of clean, soft microfibers on hand as well as clean, foam applicators. And be sure to take some before and after pictures to document your results as well as your craftsmanship.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

Just to add to Mike's comments,

On really old paint, one trick I like to use is to apply #7 first before any polishing is done. The rich polishing oils in #7 help to lubricate the surface. Then use a light cleaner and proceed as usual. Like Mike said, be real careful beacuse if the paint is original, then it will be most likely very thin. Gentle is the word!

PLEASE post photos!!!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks for the great advice guys. After all the requests for pictures, I'll definately take some.

As to Mike's response, I never thought of not washing it, but that really makes sense. Better stock up on QD.
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Hello,

I have owned my 1917 Ford Model T Touring for about 2 years. I detailed last year with Show Car Glaze #7 and Yellow Wax #26. I use QUD detailer all the time and it stays covered in the garage once the motor has cooled down.

I have another car show on July 5th. Do I just use QUD or do I wax again. I don't want to over do it. The paint was sprayed in the 60s and looks fairly good for its age.

Thanks,
            Eric

Comment

Originally posted by TRWRacing View Post

I have another car show on July 5th.

Do I just use UQD or do I wax again.

I don't want to over do it. The paint was sprayed in the 60s and looks fairly good for its age.

Thanks,
              Eric
              Wipe it down with UQD and a clean, soft microfiber then inspect, if it still looks GREAT! then you're good to go... if the paint looks like it's not up to the level you remember it being capable of, then re-polish with the M07 and re-wax with the M26

Doesn't sound like it will need to be re-polished and re-waxed according to the care it receives and the way it is stored.

Have you ever tried NXT?

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike!

I use Nxt on my 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo (which is baby'd as much as my Model T) and looks good. Just afraid to use it on paint from the 1960s. I tend to be a perfectionist (Car Crazy

I once had a 1971 Dodge Demon (2nd owner) that had thin paint when I got it, so I am always cautious of the thickness of the finish.

Comment

Before 1925 Model T bodies were flow painted, and the fenders were dipped in a enamel type paint that was semi-gloss. After 1925 Model T were painted with lacquer which was not polished and was also semi-gloss. Fenders were also dipped in enamel.

Comment

I can't wait to see the pics on this one!

Good luck!
                    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A View Post
                      Before 1925 Model T bodies were flow painted, and the fenders were dipped in a enamel type paint that was semi-gloss. After 1925 Model T were painted with lacquer which was not polished and was also semi-gloss. Fenders were also dipped in enamel.
                      Very interesting....

What is flow painting? I thought very early cars were painted with a brush? Actually have seen a picture of an early car at a manufacturing plant being painted by hand with a brush.

It seems that if a fender is dipped the paint would tend to be on the thick side versus thin side, guess it depends upon how thin or thick the paint is mixed.

More info!
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Wow, I just noticed how old this original thread is! (10/06) I was hoping to see before & after pics here on Page2, but that's obviously not going to happen since the original post was almost 2 years ago!
                        Last edited by jleonard711; Jul 1, 2008, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I will try and post some pics tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            Very interesting....

What is flow painting? I thought very early cars were painted with a brush? Actually have seen a picture of an early car at a manufacturing plant being painted by hand with a brush.

It seems that if a fender is dipped the paint would tend to be on the thick side versus thin side, guess it depends upon how thin or thick the paint is mixed.

More info!
                            Flow painting was done by hoseing the car with Japan paint while it rotated. Ive read that they could paint 11 cars with 1 gallon of paint. Spray guns were invented in the mid 1920s.Cars that were brushed were done in color varnish, and then coated with clear varnish, the original base coat clear coat.
                            Between coats the varnish was rubbed with Pumice Stone. When the varnish needed polishing it was polished with Rottenstone and water, but that would work only a couple times.Most of this info is in "Dykes Encyclepedia"

Comment

Dykes Encyclepedia was a book printed in the 1920s about how to repair and take care of old cars. It may be very hard to find.Check with your local library, they may be able to find it for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');