• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

foam pads vs terrycloth pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foam pads vs terrycloth pads

As much as I would like to get the famous PC kit, I am forced to work with an old 6" b&d random orbit buffer.

However, no local stores at all carry 6" foam pads, but the local walmart has 6" terrycloth ones, tons of them (and good walmart prices too).

Would it be alright for me to use terrycloth bonnets for polishing my accord or will it be too abrasive?

Thanks in advance.

Hi spoonbender,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

You should be perfectly fine using the terry cloth bonnets for applying Meguiar's products. If you want to be extra careful, just try your choice of product and the bonnets out on one small section, remove the product and inspect If it looks good and/or better, then continue.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wow, that was a really quick response.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Would a PC be much better than a regular random orbit buffer?

Comment

I would say YES!
        Not because I can back that statement up...but because us car nuts hardly ever agree with each other...yet most all of us use the PC (of course I include the Meg's version of it, as well)

Comment

My two cents would be to make sure they are 100% cotton, and of course wash them before use. I'd try the burn test if I were you. You don't want to swirl up the paint with a crummy bonnet. I don't think foam pads tend to be available for those types of buffers.
          1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
          2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
          1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

If you have a Big Lots in your area, check there. I found 6" - 7" foam bonnets at my local store for $1.50 each! Of course, this was just two weeks after I had bought a pair of them at Pep Boys for $7 each!

Comment

Hey,

Yes, a PC is quite a bit better than a regular orbital buffer. The PC offers variable speeds which are needed for different products. It also offers far more power, and when used with the appropriate backing plate, you can use the correct foam pad (Finishing, Polishing and sometimes Cutting) depending on the situation or paint condition.

Your orbital will be fine for applying a Last Step Product like a wax or sealant. But swirl removal or polishing will require the PC and the appropriate pads.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Spoonbender,

A minority report --

In my life before all of these darned detailing forums, I used an 11-inch Waxmaster orbital buffer (14 years). I both applied and removed rubbing compound, polish and wax with this old workhorse. I went through dozens of terry cloth bonnets. Make sure that the product you are using says that it can be applied by hand and you should be OK.

For sure the "old fashioned" orbital buffers do not have the "umph" of a pc but they will work. I've managed to get out some pretty major defects using mine. They are certainly not fast. I once spent six hours working on the hood of a black Expedition that had some serious water etching.

Just remember, if the label says for use by hand you can use the orbital buffer and high quality terry cloth bonnets.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                  Hey,

It also offers far more power....

Your orbital will be fine for applying a Last Step Product like a wax or sealant. But swirl removal or polishing will require the PC and the appropriate pads.

Tim

Ah, thats what I was afraid of.

I guess I'll have to save up my money for one after all.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');