• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Aluminum North River boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Aluminum North River boat

I have a North River Seahawk (20' Aluminum fishing boat with offshore bracket) since April. I take the boat to a car wash and give it a good going over after every trip to the river (Columbia, Willamette).

It is in pretty good shape, but now I want to use Meguiers Marine Metal Polish and clean it up good. Should I do anything before I start putting this on, like using some hard commercial cleaning product? And I was going to put this on by hand -- any problems with that? And does it really do a decent job of preventing salt water issues? I also got Meguiers Metal Guard to put on afterwards.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Re: Polishing Aluminum North River boat

Where you at with this?

Sorry this slipped through the Cyber cracks...

Check out this thread,

Blinded by the shine

Before:

After:

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Going along with this, what can we do to protect the aluminum after its polished like that?
      Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Some of our metal polishes leave behind a protective coating, I know NXT All Metal Polysh does I'll have to check on the rest.

Our old Marine catalogs before 2005 when we discontinued M16 would recommend M16 for brightwork, (shiny metal), on boats to protect them in marine environments.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Reviving thread...

I still have some M16, is this a good topper for my cheap rowboat? I was staring at it today, and I just hit it with wheel brightener to clean it up, and want to lay something on top now to see how it does...
          2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
          2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

Probably would want the surface cleaned first for best results.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I did hit it with 4:1 Wheel Brightener, it got rid of a LOT of crud.

This was one application:

Before (center section):

After (same center section):

I did hit it twice over the entire boat, it came out really nice. Dark out, so I'll have to get some more pics tomorrow.

I'm not looking for the mirror finish, just clean and protected. The Wheel Brightener was amazingly easy- literally about 30 seconds from spray to rinse. Eye opening if you're using it on unpainted aluminum rins- don't, or be very careful.

I may hit it with Nevr-Dull tomorrow, then top with M16 if that sounds right... I'm more concerned with protecting the aluminum (if that's needed) than shine. I know the Wheel Brightener cleaned pretty well, does it need protection? Thoughts? I've never done aluminum like this before...
              2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
              2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');