• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convertable top for an 03 C5 vette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertable top for an 03 C5 vette

my dad has a tan top on his vette and it's filthy. Any ideas of a good product to use?
    Chopped 55 Suburban
    99 3.0 CL
    Family cars:
    1958 Eldo Biarrittz Vert
    48 Merc Woody - a true sleeper
    New project: 67 Sunbeam Tiger
    Newest project: 66 Mustang Vert

I don't know if this is allowed or not .
    But mothers makes a convertable top cleaner it comes in a spray bottle.
    You could call meguiars customer service to see what they recommend.

Comment

Hi HotRodGuy,

You are of course speaking about a cloth top? (not vinyl)

Meguiar's doesn't offer a convertible top cleaner for fabric tops. This type of material in this configuration is very difficult to clean, (especially when it's really dirt), without running the risk of affecting in a negative way its appearance. It can be done, it's just not as easy as washing a car.

Meguiar's makes a carpet and fabric cleaner in our Consumer line, and Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner in the Detailer line can both be used for cleaning fabric, but neither are products formulated for the purpose of being a dedicated convertible top cleaner.

The most important thing to remember when working on fabrics of any type with any companies product, is to first test in an inconspicuous area for color fastness[ before applying the product to the entire area.

You might want to take it to a professional detailer and ask them for suggestions, or what they would charge. Make sure they have experience before handing it over to them.

Hope this helps...

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

There are two types of convertible topping material, the solid, crinkle-type finish will identify most vinyl tops, whereas most fabric tops are smoother and have a woven thread pattern. The rear window is either a clear Vinyl or sometimes glass.

1. Cleaner to remove soiling, stains and atmospheric pollution for both natural and synthetic materials.

2. Fabric protector to re-proof and preserve fabric tops from the effects of water absorption, surface soiling and staining, and provide a sunscreen from UV radiation and subsequent fading. The best cleaners are formulated from low-pH (low alkalinity) and gentle enough for repeated use over years. They will rely on proteins and enzymes for their safe, but effective, cleaning power.

Viynl- Use a quality wash concentrate (P21S® total Auto Wash) to remove most of dirt and oils from the surface
        Shake product for 30-60 seconds to ensure even mixing
        Treat spots with a Vinyl cleaner (303™ Fabric & Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner) and a soft horsehair brush to agitate and then remove with damp 100% Alpine DF™ Microfiber towel

Fabric-products- Raggtopp™ Vinyl / Fabric Cleaner and Raggtop Fabric Protector, 303 Fabric Top Cleaner or the Porsche Tequipment Convertible Top Cleaner

For badly stained or faded fabric tops, Renvo Soft Top Reviver (www.convertablecar.com) a paint on product that restores lost or faded colour

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon
        justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
        ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks guys, i'm gonna use a steamer on it this weekend and see if that helps at all. Then I'll look into something else.
          Chopped 55 Suburban
          99 3.0 CL
          Family cars:
          1958 Eldo Biarrittz Vert
          48 Merc Woody - a true sleeper
          New project: 67 Sunbeam Tiger
          Newest project: 66 Mustang Vert

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            You might want to take it to a professional detailer and ask them for suggestions, or what they would charge. Make sure they have experience before handing it over to them.

Taking it to a professional sounds like very good advice. These types of cloth tops, such as the tops on Corvettes can be easily damaged.
            FRANK CANNA
            Mirror Finish Detailing
            23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Actually there is a problem from Chevy about that top on the Corvette especially on the driverside [ IT RUBS] and create brown to black marks along the frame DONT CLEAN take it back to the dealer and they should replace it. If the vehicle is under WARRANTY

You can E-mail me @ newagain@ec.rr.com for info GOOD LUCK
              Whats my color? Color X

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');