• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice for swirls marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice for swirls marks

Hey folks,
    As you can tell by my avitar, I have a dark colored "graphite pearl" Accord. I swore I'd never own a dark colored car but I just loved this color. Anyway, the car is about a 1 1/2 years old now and showing some swirls. It's odd, because I have exclusively hand washed the car with the two bucket method (love the grit gaurd!) since it was new, but I'm still getting minor swirls.

I have tryed my G-100 with DACP once to remove them but it didn't quite do the trick. In my experience that combo works better to fix dull, dirty finishes and does not do very much for swirls. Even though the DACP is fairly mild, I just don't like having to use it on such a new finish anyway.

So I'm thinking of trying the following: Hand wash as always, clay bar (again almost always do this before waxing), Scratch-X to remove swirls, then NXT wax. What do you all think? SHould this do the trick? I've never tried Scratch-X, so how often can it be used to remove swirls without depleting the clearcoat?

Also, I was thinking about using DC #2 polish before the coat of NXT to add some depth to the color, but would #7 show car glaze be a better polish to use before the NXT?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Slats
    -------------
    John 17:3
    -------------

Re: Need some advice for swirls marks

Make Sure You Are Usingclean Pads & Make Sure Clay Is Clean
    Noswirler

Comment

Well, you can get some swirls no matter what.

Why did you jump right to DACP, and not just use #80 Speed Glaze? #80 is often used after #83 because #83 can leave slight marring behind. Is your paint so soft you are just moving swirls around with a more agressive product?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I hope that is not the case. #83 has diminishing abrasives so I figured it couldn't hurt. The swirls looked somewhat better after the 83 but still not entirely gone. I think this time I will try some Deep Crystal paint cleaner and see if that will work. The swirls really aren't as bad as the acid rain spots only visible in the sunlight. Do you think DC #1 will take those out or maybe Scratch-X would be better?

Slats
        -------------
        -------------

Comment

Hi Slats, I detailed my uncle's Accord same as yours a few months back. Using DC1, DC2 & DC3. Can't get Meguiars Pro line here. It was full of swirls and scratches. It did took off bout 90% of the swirls and light scratches. The whole car was Shinning and Glossy back with stunning Reflections. The only some deep scratches left that I didn't solve for him as I was too tired already. Hehehe. My mistake was I left the DC1 and DC2 dry up. So it took me all the energy in me the wipe it off. Didn't read the part tht one need not wait for Cleaner and Polish to dry. My uncle was so amazed wt it that he ask me to detail his wife's new Civic too. Even the new Civic has some swirls? My best friend's Honda City 'black' too is full of swirls. It is coz of the paint actually. Its too soft I think and it's Black...!?!?! But it's easy to buff off the swirls. It bound to have the swirls back easily too. I notice that in Honda's paint. Compare to others. As I came across this 3 honda black car.

Maybe you can try those Glaze Sealants like the Matrix Mirco Coatings that are very hard one? I dont know as over here it cost RM1000 to have it coated. I told the shop guy I could spray a new coat of paint on the car already wt tht amount. Maybe in USA its not so expensive.?
          Last edited by bernard78; Nov 10, 2006, 09:06 PM. Reason: Add sentence

Comment

Glad to hear the DC #1 worked well on your uncle's car. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for your reply!

Slats
            -------------
            -------------

Comment

i love my accord but the paint ***** it is the softest paint i ever worked on if you look at it the wrong way it will scratch

Comment

Ur welcome. Tell us how it goes ok. I know its not M#80 / M#83. But DC#1 is quite good in my opinion as it's not expensive. And it works for me...hehehe. Hope it works for u too, Slats.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');