• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to boats

I have a big 27 ft. boat and two jet skies to practice on. I have never done a boat before. What do I need? What do I do? How long will it take me?
    Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Re: New to boats

Just like a car's finish you'll want to evaluate the condition of the surfaces you're working on and then let the condition of these surfaces be you guide to help you choose the right products.

Try to find out if you're working on Fiberglas gel-coat or if the boat or Jet ski's have been painted. Gel-coat is typically thicker than paint so you'll have some film build to work with, paint on the other hand is usually thin and this means no room for mistakes.

If the boat is in pretty decent shape you might want to consider using a one-step Cleaner/Wax because going around a 27' boat in one step and getting great results will be a real time saver versus going around a boat using a multiple-step process which if you consider just the wipe off of products it's enough to make you tired.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Both the boat and jet skies have gel coats. They are older (late 80's) but in good shape for their age. Of course they are oxidized, enough that there is no shine at least. The boat has vinyl that is in good shape. The owner has gotten really great results before with what I think is a DA, but he say's it's doesn't last very long. Currently I only have my hands and an old orbital buffer to work with, but I am pretty sure I can get a machine by then. The boat is white, the skies are yellow. The leather seat on one of the jet skies has a horrible stain/burn? I don't know if that can be helped. Any help would be appriciated
      Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

anybody?
        Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

Originally posted by Detaillab View Post
          anybody?
          One of us had the day off yesterday, so let's give him a few seconds to type you up some help...
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Both the boat and jet skies have gel coats. They are older (late 80's) but in good shape for their age. Of course they are oxidized, enough that there is no shine at least.

Currently I only have my hands and an old orbital buffer to work with, but I am pretty sure I can get a machine by then.

You might want to look at this kit that has an oxidation remover, a pure polish and a pure wax, this would be everything you would need to remove the oxidation, restore the gloss and protect the finish when you're done.

Fiberglass Restoration System

You should be able to pick this up at an Marine supply store or you can order it online.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

That was what I was thinking, can it be done by hand? if not I will need some instruction becuase I have never used anything but an old orbital
              Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

That was what I was thinking, can it be done by hand? if not I will need some instruction becuase I have never used anything but an old orbital
                Yes, these products can be applied by hand.

A 27' boat is going to be a lot of work by hand, purchase a dual action polisher and charge enough money to recoup you investment and then some.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  Yes, these products can be applied by hand.

A 27' boat is going to be a lot of work by hand, purchase a dual action polisher and charge enough money to recoup you investment and then some.
                  That would be a wonderful idea. And the multi step approach is the way to go with an oxidized fiberglass finish..... I thought the one steps, (50, 67) were great until I tried 49.
                  "Now go home and get your shine box"

Billy Batts in Goodfellas

Comment

Okay with a PC or G100 what pads do I need. Is there a big difference in the Meguiars version vs. Porter Cable's?
                    Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');