• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strip off wax before claying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strip off wax before claying?

Is it necessary to strip the wax off before doing a clay job? There is currently two layers of NXT Tech wax, one layer of Gold Class and the every other wash or so layer of spray wax on the car now.

I was thinking it would be necessary to wait until spring when a complete wash, strip wax, clay, (polish optional), rewax ... but if there is a warm day will it work without getting the existing wax off the car?

Re: Strip off wax before claying?

A Clay bar is made to remove bonded contaminates from any hard flat surface. The clay bar will also remove any wax or polish that may be on the surface. So after claying you should get a nice smooth clean surface to work with.
    Last edited by Ash Erickson; Nov 29, 2006, 08:21 AM.
    Ash Erickson
    Marine / RV Sales & Training Rep.
    Meguiar's Inc.
    800.854.8073 Ext. 165
    aserickson@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Erickson View Post
      A Clay bar is made to remove bonded contaminates from any hard flat surface. The clay bar will also remove any wax or polish that may be on the surface. So after claying you should get a nice smooth clean surface to work with.
      If that's the case, wouldn't you want to strip the wax first? If a clay bar does in fact strip the was, you would almost immediately render the bar useless if using it on a recently waxed surface.
      It's only weird because it's not normal

www.project-one.us

Comment

I am not sure if I understand your question completely but I think this is what you are asking. The function of a clay bar is to remove bonded contaminates from the surface. This is a step, if needed, that you will always want to use before you wax. The reason that this step is always done before polishing and waxing is due to the fact that it will not only remove those contaminates but polishes and waxes too. Let say that you were to wax a car, then notice that you have bonded contaminates, then go back and clay the car, you will then need to re wax the surface becasue of the clay. So, the clay bar is not necessarily useless on a recently waxed car, it is just used as part of a cleaning process that has do be done in certain steps to achieve maximum results. I hope that helps. If you have any other questions please let me know.
        Ash Erickson
        Marine / RV Sales & Training Rep.
        Meguiar's Inc.
        800.854.8073 Ext. 165
        aserickson@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Erickson View Post
          The clay bar will also remove any wax or polish that may be on the surface.
          No offense or anything, but I disagree. Clay bars remove above surface contaminants, but nothing below the surface. Since polishes (which contain oils) and waxes fill fine scratches and swirls in the clearcoat, claying will not remove all of the wax. Most probably, but not all. For this reason you should use a paint cleaner after you clay if you are concerned with buildup. Or you could use a cleaner/polish like #80 and then top that with wax. Just my two cents.

Slats
          -------------
          John 17:3
          -------------

Comment

I'll keep asking I guess.

If a clay bar is going to strip some, if not all, of the wax, wouldn't that make the bar almost useless right away?

I would think it's best to remove any wax or other coatings first so you are truly just left with the paint and surface contaminants. That way the clay can do just what it is made for.

Does that make sense?

www.project-one.us

Comment

I suppose you are thinking the clay bar might fill up quickly.

Since I dont have any scientific pistures or anything, all I can say is don't worry, it doesnt. All you have to do is fold the bar when it looks dirty, and you will be set.

If you havent used it before, it really is something you just have to try, and you'll be able to see that it keeps grabbing stuff, and the paint feels smooth afterwards.

I have heard it doesnt work as well on fresh wax, but I have never needed to clay the day after waxing.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yes! An answer. That's the info I was looking for.

Thanks.

www.project-one.us

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');